HybridZ

Restoration Ramps

IdahoZ

I talked to the local body shop that installs frame rail connectors on mustangs, camaros, firebirds, etc. and was told to support the car via the suspension (not body or frame) or put it on a lift so that the car is sitting on its tires (natural stance) while welding frame rail connectors. They strongly discouraged installing frame rails while the car is supported on a rotisserie. Found this website the other day and was considering building me a pair of these ramps instead of the rotisserie I was planning. Looks easier to build too. It would also come in very handy once the car is assembled and too heavy to put on a rotisserie. Anyone ever build something like this? I was thinking of a 12 foot long ramp.

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/

Looks interesting.. I've thought of building something like that for a while now.. I just don't have the space (renting an apt. and garage space) or the hight right now.. As for suporting the car whilst welding frame conectors it, I was woried about it when doing my 280 last year.. but I felt that suporting it by the front and rear frame sections on jack stands was, in my case, the safer/better way to go. My floor and rails were really rough (p/o had new floor pans done, but they were not put in properly or even finished completely..) and my car was actually 'flexing' under it's own weight.. :shock: so in that state, my cars 'natural stance' was ah.. not quite straight anymore..

Dream Car Garage is always doing shows where they replace the floor pans on a classic Shelby or other car. They always advocate building a metal rack out of square tubing and actually welding the car to the rack. They use short, upright pieces of tubing to connect the rack to a half dozen mounting points on the car. They of course put oversized castors on the rack so they can move the vehicle about the shop (not a huge advantage with my 1 car garage).

But the important thing they always stress is to get the car perfectly straight, then rigidly lock it into position before removing structural sheet metal. I admire these guys who build rotisseries and think they would be great for resurfacing the underside of a car. But I have often wondered how they can be sure the frame is within spec with all the odd forces acting on the car.

Been done hundreds of times so manybe it is just not as big of an issue as I think.