HybridZ

I need you guys to put on your thinking caps......Can this work??

Guest jeff1216

Guest jeff1216

I have a 1970 240Z............I also have the opportunity to purchase a Suzuki Hayabusa motor...(1300cc motorcycle engine)....with complete turbo charger making 390 hp..........and the entire set up weighs under 200 pounds.

Talk about a VERY light weight power source.

The big question.

How do I put the power to the rear wheels?

i dont know of any trannys that would work on a rwd car setup.

i know some people have used these motors in geo metros and ford festivas but those were FWD...

hmm i dont know ..

mike

For the amount of work that would be required for it to work, it's not worth it. It'll be like having a slower S2000. It would require to be revved to the moon, and would NOT be fun to drive.

I've seen a ZX11 motor in the old mini cooper (converted to RWD). There were some who liked it, but they all agreed on one thing. . . lack of power. If there's a lack of power in the mini, I'm pretty sure that it would be more noticeable in the Z.

The weight of the car would probably be strenuous on the engine that was designed to haul less than half of the weight, and w/ the lack of flywheel it's going to be annoying to drive on the streets (not sure of you're thinking about street driving, but figured I'd throw it in here for good measures).

Custom this, custom that, and by the time you know it, you've spent thousands of $$$s on a car that you may or may not like. Once you drive it and don't like the power, then you're probably going to want to turbo it. That's another 4 figure price tag. I'd say stick w/ more common swaps like the V8, I or V6, or turbo I4s from other cars. I guarantee you'll come out happier and less broke.

If you're really really liking the idea of a motorcycle engine in a car, use a shaft driven V-max motor and tranny into a metro or something like that. The initial investment isn't a lot, and you'll get that cool sequential I shift pattern.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

I race a Legends car with a Yamaha FJ 1200 engine. An adapter on the sprocket shaft allows the engine to be turned 90 degrees from the way it was in the bike so the adapter can be attached to the driveshaft. It works in an 1120 lb. car, but double that, I don't think so. The clutch runs in the same oil as the engine and tranny and it is going to slip alot. We run aftermarket clutches and still have a lot of slip at 90 mph and above increasing the oil temps at the same time. Save it for something lighter.

take a look at westfield cars and their megabusa 8. its a super 7 based car with a 'busa engine. RWD, six forward gears, six reverse gears. I used to work for the only importer in the states of westfield cars and can tell you they are amazing fun with the 'busa engine,but they weigh next to nothing. If you could get it cheap I would buy it just to have it, and maybe do an old Honda N600 conversion or build your own locost 7.

as far as putting one in a z? no way, it might be fun for a little bit, but would wear thin on you very quickly.