HybridZ

Solvent tank?

JMortensen

Anyone have a solvent tank at home? What solvent do you use? Recycling?

I realize I could use diesel fuel or kerosene, but I think I'd prefer to use something green if possible. Looking at the 20 and 40 gallon Harbor Freight units, just got too damn many greasy parts around the garage...

Dumb question then. What do you do when it gets dirty? Clean the filter and dump the solvent? Doesn't seem like a good idea, since the solvent is enviro friendly, but the grease, oil, etc isn't.

If you do use kerosene or diesel can you recycle it at a used oil facility? It is a petroleum product...

I bought the 20 gal Sol tank at HRBR FRT., and have actually NEVER (6 years)changed the solvent...only dumped the bottom build-up onto newspaper and then let it dry out thoroughly (few days) and to the trash can it went.

The best trick for dirty parts is the solvent in a 5 gallon can that comes with a handle strainer inside ! I bought it at a Auto supply (O'reilly's) out here for 15.00$ or so. just drop your parts in that fit....wait a few days or weeks(whatever the nasty bugger requires) and THEN take it out and scrub and rinse in your sovent station.The worst of the mess slides right off ! That way the really bad Crud doesent go into your bath tank.

Just my way,maybe not for everyone.!? I do alot of this before I inspect,store or sandblast.

.....................Vince

Not sure if you guys have it in the US, but we used a company called Safety-Clean for our solvent needs. It's all green stuff, and they will dispose of it when you are done as well. (recycle it) Works awesome, and actually is surprisingly safe for hands, not like varsol, diesel, etc.

Even if you don't have that place, I am certain there are companies local to everyone that deal in this type of product and chemical recycling. Please don't throw the residue in the garbage, have it recycled.

I remember Safety-Kleen from my wrenching days. Wonder if that's the same outfit. They'd come by in their yellow and black truck every 6 months and change the filter and the solvent.

That's kind of why I was asking. I was wondering if I could get away with NOT doing that.