HybridZ

aluminum pulleys durability ??

okay, i'm waving as i walk into the poor house, not driving my z ...

new JTR radiator, short pump, to make taurus fan fit ...

now, need to replace the pulleys ... and i'm also looking for an alt. mount for the passenger side.

there are aluminum V drive pulleys on e bay ...

an ad in street rodder magazine, says ... don't buy the cheaper aluminum pulleys, use their high grade aluminum pulleys .... something about the aluminum shredding, peeling off the pulleys.

i see quite a few engines in the gallery, using the aluminum pulleys.

anyone have any experience with this ???

again, these are for V belts, not serpentine ...

thanks , wayne

I have the really cheap 'no name' aluminum v-belt pulleys sold at just about every major auto parts store. They work great! No problems at all even after running the same set on a few different engines over the years. Natural billet aluminum finish.

As far as the peeling goes maybe the ones talked about in that article were chrome plated aluminum. A tiny piece of debris ran through the belt groove could easily nick the plating causing a pit. Corrosion from there between the copper strike and base aluminum part will typically start to lift and peel chrome plate. Or a very low quality die casting and or material is totally possible too.

I know for a fact most of these pulleys sold are die casted them machined down and called 'billet'.

I've been using an aluminum pulley on both my cars for years, and never had an issue with either. The very oldest one (been on the car for about 8 years) was inspected last year when I had it off the car doing other work, and I could see where the "V" groove was very slightly worn, but it looked like it could go another 8 years with no problems.

Guest 77vegasz

Sumit racing has alternator mounts for all situations at http://www.summitracing.com. The only caution is that if you are using very tall valve covers, some of the short pump alt. mounts will not work. I am using Edelbrock Elite tall valve covers, and had to get a mount that puts the alt. way off to the side, clear of the valve covers. It was custom made by a friend who has a machine shop.

Jon

thanks everybody.

just bid on set of aluminum 2 groove pulleys ... ebay ...

i guess the company advertising in street rodder is just hyping their product ... it did make me stop and wonder

using search, in post by Davy Z, he suggests using the smog pump bracket for the alternator. i'm gonna try that ...

the money tree has stopped producing fruit ... cheap is the way to go ...

but, i want this to be correct and safe ... may end up at summit i think the $42 bracket might work ...

thanks again, wayne

If you want aluminum pulleys to last for OEM durability, have them hard anodized. The surface finish will promote belt adhesion and power transfer, and if you keep your belts tensioned properly, they will last for a very long time.

Most of the pulleys sold through outlets are just polished. A hard anodizing really adds to the durability of the stock. Then again, if they are cut from specific pillets, they are pretty hard to begin with!

... using search, in post by Davy Z, he suggests using the smog pump bracket for the alternator. i'm gonna try that ...

The benefit is that the smog pump bracket tucks the alternator in closely to the waterpump, and it also mounts the alternator a little lower then the standard bracket. You will run into two things when you use the bracket:

1) Having to shim the alternator within the smog bracket--you'll see what I mean when the gap is larger then the alt mount. You'll need a shim of over 1 inch or washers, but they look a bit unsightly IMO.

2) You'll need to shim or space the bracket from the block properly with washers to get the proper distance (and/or angle if you can't shim the alt well) for the alternator pulley to line up with the crank and waterpump pulleys.

If you can pull a smog bracket for free, you'll see the benefits immediately, but if you are handy, you should not have any issues you can't overcome.

Davy

Guest Night_rider_383

I'm running Summit and march alum. pulleys on my 88 camaro with a 71 350 in it.

I had to go with a march crank pulley cause summit did'nt have a 5" one.

My water pump, power steering, and alt. are all summit brand alum. pulleys.

About the only diff I can see in the $70 march vs. the $30 summit alum pulleys is the finish. The march one is polished alittle better, and the summit ones had a few marks and alittle more of a duller finish to them

Dave i already have a smog pump bracket, with a smog pump still attached .. took it off a couple days ago. i was checking the gallery ... no pix of your z or your set up, was hoping to see it .. does Alex have any pix of your set up, with the smog bracket ? maybe he could email me ???

thanks everyone, regarding the pulleys ... two aluminum double grooves off ebay for $64 ( crank is 6.6 " i think he said the pump is the same ) including shipping/tax/insurance. should be here soon, if the rain stops and i can get an alt. bracket set up to work with the short pump, might get that JTR radiator and the taurus fan in ... then see if i can find an inexpensive body shop ...