HybridZ

fiberglass hood plus

evildky

Since Tony was nice enough to take the time to post all of that, I'll add a couple of photos of a hood scoop I made for my 240SX hood that was made using the exact same techniques listed above in reference to the hood scoop work. This scoop was made "on the car" over the OEM paint, with no damage done at all to the factory paint, using the foam as a mold. Then it was removed, finished, painted, and then installed permanently (non-functional). All in all, it took 2 weeks to fabricate from start to bolt-down, and cost about $40 in materials (everything!)

Anybody with the desire can do something like this, and this type of job is an excellent "starter" for those wanting to experiment with composite fabrication.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

• 7 months later...

Great posts on fiberglassing! I have not done any fiberglass work in years now, but when I was in highschool I took production plastics for half the school day and learned a lot about fiberglass (although I forgot most and what I did learn is somewhat dated now) I have done a few small projects including doing some repairs to my front air dam. One very basic rule that I have not seen is when using epoxy resin it is extreamly critical to make sure your resin is fresh. Epoxy resin has a very short shelf life and getting a batch of old resin that has set around on someones shelf too long will ruin your day. If you get your epoxy resin from someone who sells a lot of resin you will probably be in great shape, just beware of "close out" specials on old resin, fresher is always better. Fiberglass is very forgiving and actually pretty simple to work with, just follow the basic rules and experiment around a bit you will be amazed at some of the compound shapes you can produce with a little practice!

If you want some more pics and writeup of a novice's first attempts at doing major fiberglass work you can check out my webpage. I used the same (or at least very similar) techniques to Terry (thanks again for all of your help Terry!). Haven't done the hood yet, but I've got the quarter panels and fenders done... now the long process of sanding. I went with 2 layers of 7.5 oz cloth, then 2 layers of 4 oz cloth. This makes for a fairly stiff piece... but it does still have a little give if you push on it hard.

Take a look. http://www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/Project_Racer-Zfiberglass

Guest iskone

I gotta say when your done your gonna have one of the best looking Z's out there. :2thumbs:

You are doing what alot of us here dream of doing with our Z's, well at least what I dream of.