HybridZ

LS2 crate engine

Since we already have a number of guys running LS1's who's gonna be the firsts for the LS2's, from what i've read the mounts are identical to the LS1.

It comes pretty much complete except for Pulley, belt, power steering pump, air conditioning pump, starter, alternator, and engine covers are not included.

http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=128877&HS=1

What's wrong with returnless? The only difference I can see is that the regulator is on the fuel rail and at the tank. Does this cause other problems?I am already using the Camaro tank, so I found no reason to convert to the return style fuel rail (which you can get from a '98 LS1). The returnless style does have a return, it is just not at the fuel rail. It is right befor the fuel filter. There is a T with a return line back to the tank. The main line continues to the fuel rail. If it really bothers you, you can change the fuel rail, probably for less than $100 if you find a used one.

• 1 month later...

Just guessing but the throttle by wire should be as easy as hooking a rheostat up to the gas pedal. I would bet the "A handy reference guide (88959384 - LS1 Guide) is available to help install the engine in older cars with minimal guesswork" tells how. Would much rather route a wire through the firewall than throttle cable.

That engine looks like a good deal until you start adding up everything needed to finish it off. No ECU or wiring harness, not to mention accessories, 02 sensors, etc. Probably still a good deal but with tranny I could see that $6K list price quickly doubling.

OK Time out folks... Couple comments here...

ALL LS1/ LS2/ LS6 motors came in one configuration or another with returnless systems from 1999 and newer vehicles... They work VERY well.

ALL LS1/ LS2/ LS6 motors are drive by wire, which means no throttlw cable.

You need to purchase a Computer and harness in order to make the whole "package" work well, but boy it works wonderfully well when you are done... Others who actually have done the conversion should chime in here, since they know all to well what it takes to make this mouse roar!

Maichor, The return for the Vette is built into the filter... has the dual nipple on the filter! Pretty slick little design!

Mike

I agree with the returnless setup. No problems here.

Hey, that vette filter return would make my fuel lines a little more compact.

One correction though, NOT ALL LS1's are drive by wire. The Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am LS1's are all CABLE throttle bodies. You can easily swap to a cable TB if you want, it still has a throttle position sensor that will work with the ECU, but it would probably be just as easy to rig your pedal to send the appropriate signal. I run the stock Firebird cable rigged up to the stock gas pedal and it works fine.

Ok, there's a bit of mis-information going on here.

LS1/6 motors built for F-bodies have cable throttles

LS1/6 motors built for Y-bodies are throttle by wire.

All LS2 and LS7 motors will be throttle by wire. There will be no provision for cable actuation on these.

BTW, I have that How to Hotrod LS1/6 engine book. Goto LS1.com, LS2.com or LS1tech.com for info that is on par with this site but for the LS family of engines.

Former owner of a 2002 Camaro SS