HybridZ

Autometer with LED turn signals.

DaleMX

I put in 2 poorly centered green LED’s for turnsignals. Oops, well I guess I could drill the holes out larger and use a couple of bushings to center it up. I’ll try it like this first and see if it bothers me.

http://www.circuitflex.com/ProComp4.jpg

Here’s the speedometer. I still have to drill a hole in the plastic and extend the button. I also will be installing a brake LED and a high beam LED, better centered I hope.

http://www.circuitflex.com/ProComp5.jpg

Here are the LED’s I used. They have the resistor built in for 12 volt use.

http://www.circuitflex.com/ProComp6.jpg

I mounted the workings onto the case upside down to drill the poorly centered holes. I did pilot the holes, but used a crappy bit the finish with and it walked on me.

http://www.circuitflex.com/ProComp7.jpg

Nice job Dale:

It looks centered to me.

I just picked up the parts for doing the same to a VDO Speedo. I can't seem to get the plastic cover off. I'd like to reuse it.

Any thoughts on how to put in a square hi beam light?

• 2 weeks later...

The metal ring that holds the glass on is machine crimped on. Place the meter face down on a table. Take a screwdriver and bend the metal ring out all the way around. You have to go slow and may have to bent over the same spot several time to get the metal to stretch. Then you can pull the front off with the glass and expose the gauge in its housing. Then remove the 2 nuts from the back and pull the gauge from it's housing. Then using a bench sander I removed the lip from the plastic housing so it would fit into the datsun holder.

Edit:

I turned the gauge upside down and mounted it on the back of the plastic housing to serve as a holder for drilling the holes for the LED's.

The metal ring that holds the glass on is machine crimped on. Place the meter face down on a table. Take a screwdriver and bend the metal ring out all the way around. You have to go slow and may have to bent over the same spot several time to get the metal to stretch. Then you can pull the front off with the glass and expose the gauge in its housing. Then remove the 2 nuts from the back and pull the gauge from it's housing. Then using a bench sander I removed the lip from the plastic housing so it would fit into the datsun holder. Then I turned the gauge upside down and mounted it on the back of the plastic housing to serve as a holder for drilling the holes.

This is a great thread. I think many of us have wanted to do this but didn't know how.

You lost me somewhere in this post though... I think I'll go read more threads on mounting autometers.

I've been thinking I'd like to get a tach with shift lite built into the main 5" ring... because I don't like the look of a shift lite on the dash. If I were to buy that type, I don't think this mod would be very feasible.

As far as making a square hole for a high beam light... why not just use two Blue LED's mounted side-by-side or something? It should look good and obvious enough that your high beams are on.

If you absolutely need to make a square hole, I would make a template out of something strong, lay it on and tape it in place. Then use a dremel side cutter wheel to make the four cuts. You will need to make some sort of lens, then... and it could really get messy.

Sorry, I'm not very good at describing things. It seems strange, but I usually can just look at something and figure out how to do it in my head, then just go start making it happen. My problem is getting motivated.

I will try to write it up better this weekend.