HybridZ

engne when your low on $

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

thier no way in hell i can afford a $4700 engine so to start off, can i just get like a 50,000 mile used 350 for the meanwile untill i can afford these well crafted engines?

how much do old engines in moderate condition cost anyway? what HP do the old 350 sctock ones give out and can i see the engine after anouther 20,000 miles at around the same price?

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. A crate motor will cost a bit over a thousand dollars, and should have around 250 hp. I can't tell you how much used engines will cost or how much you can sell them for, because honestly I won't be in the market for an engine for quite a while.

Yup, I'd go for the GM Goodwrench $1200 Crate motor with warranty. You could get a brand new motor less the intake for that. Can't beat it for the bang. Save your money and get one of those. Then when you can afford it, stab in a new cam and aluminum heads and you are pretty much there.

If you go the JY motor route, I'd still recommend replacing the rings and bearings, which will also call for a gasket kit. If you can get a motor already running in a car, then you can get compression readings and find out what you are getting, that way you could forgo the re-ring and re-bearing of a motor.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

quote:

Originally posted by geotek:

I don't know what the RIGHT answer is, but I just bought a 327 for $100. Yes, I'll have to do some work, but as far as I'm concerned, work can be an effective substitute for money.

I bought a running 350 from a neighbor and decided to ( freshen it up ) a bit . $1600.00

later, it is fresh and my wallet is flat ,and this was with me doing all the assembly and porting work.

Could have purchased a Goodwrench 350 horse 350 ci. for about $2500, but would have missed all the fun . See it now at http://communities.msn.com/ZCarFamilyFun/

Dennis,IZCC 1390

71 570Z

As JTR says you can't beat the value of a complete powertrain from a used car. Beauty is you can drive it and verify it's alright as well as do compression checks etc. Hopping it up is easy at any later date as 4 comes in. Intakes/carbs/headers etc are available good prices used all the time. Don't get the idea that a $4700 motor is the norm for a V8Z:-) I wish it was but we all have our differing scenarios:-)

Ross (hmm, how could I drive 500hp in the rain) C

PSS my first motor cost me $800US total, would've been $525 but I paid for new cam/springs and timing chain to be installed. It was straight out of a '68 camaro (327) and ran fine for me. Finally pulled it this last spring thinking I should replace it as it must be wearing out...(it's my only car/daily driver) with a 350 I'd been building and I've now inspected that 327 and it probably would've gone another 100k miles:-) Still in the corner of my garage, I dont' really want to sell it..snif sniff

Guest Anonymous

I just stard on my 350 today and right before putting the engien up on a stand my mech told me he just found a 350 with forged pistons and head work with cam for 500 bucks rebuild never used DOH! I could still buy the engine and be ahead of the game but I want to rebuild it because I will learn so much from it

keep your eyes open you will find lots of engines for under 1000 bucks you might need to rebuild them but even if you have a shop do it it wont be much over 1000 bucks also you will have parts you want in the engine

Jeff

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff 280ZXT:

I just stared on my 350 today and right before putting the engien up on a stand my mech told me he just found a 350 with forged pistons and head work with cam for 500 bucks rebuild never used DOH! I could still buy the engine and be ahead of the game but I want to rebuild it because I will learn so much from it

keep your eyes open you will find lots of engines for under 1000 bucks you might need to rebuild them but even if you have a shop do it it wont be much over 1000 bucks also you will have parts you want in the engine

Jeff

Hey Guys, Make a list of what you want done ,and what you need done . They may not always be the same .

My partial list:

line hone $75.00 Bore with torque plates $150.00 Balance reciprocating assembly $150.00 Hot tank and mike block $45.00 High silicon pistons $130.00 Check and resize rods $48.00 3 angle valve job with new guides $125.00 Gasket set $50.00 New oil pump $50.00 Water pump $45.00 4 barrel carb and manifold $200.00 used Kit for Edelbrock $35.00

As you can see without a plan the costs can quickly escalate .

As always Your Mileage May Vary

Dennis

Guest Anonymous

Kid,

Check the local papers as well. Often they have engines for sale and many times you'll be able to hear it run (still in car). There are small blocks all the time in the 2-500.00 range many times with aftermarket manifolds and carbs etc. If you buy one you can't hear run, at least do the bearings and check the heads and cylinders before putting it in. Don't forget the 327's out there too, not just the 350's. The 327's were IMHO some of the best of the early small blocks, fast winding, loads of power and good rod angle. Its a good engine.

$.02,

Lone

Guest MistaFosta

Hey, I know how you feel. Im short on Cash as well, but I got a perfectly runnin 350 for $100, and with a little milling of the block and heads, I can make pretty good horse, for cheap.

And remember, even though you want all that power, how much can you use? Dont forget about the traction...(Or lack therof in Z's with v8's case...)

Good luck