HybridZ

awd hybrid

Guest z_mech

I think it would be very hard to do in a z with a skyline setup. Just look at the skyline and notice how far back the front wheels are and where the engine sits in the engine bay. The engine has to be almost completely in front of the front wheels, and to get it to fit, the engine would probably have to stick past the hood a little. Having the engine that far to the front and high up would raise the center of gravity and throw the balance of the car off. The only way to lower it back and down would be to make a custom oil pan with a mounting for the differential further up towards the front, and then extend the front driveshaft... IMHO I think its one of those things where if you have the time and money, go ahead and do it, but it seems realy impractical.

I'm thnking maybe an old Audi Quatro driveline..(don't know about newer ones.. ???) The old 4000/5000/90/100/200 line used a 4 or 5 cly mounted as if the car was rear drive, and the transmition has two equal lenght c/v shafts sticking out of the side of it.. right up by the belhousing, very close to the back of the engine... The 2wd cars just had that, but the 4wd models also had a driveshaft coming out of the tailstock of the tranny. I'm wondering now if it's possible to convert a 2wd to a 4wd.. I bet it's a simple mater of swaping in some parts.... (cars shared same chasis between 2wd and 4wd iirc)

I had an 86 5000 turbo and trust me, that 5 gear was tough.. :lol: There are plenty of Audi guys pushing 300 boosted horse through them. Hell.. if you could sort out the aweful ECU/electrical system (bugy, hard to troubleshoot, arcaic if you will..) the whole drivetrain would be a cool swap in a Z.. They use a similar rear differential setup as a Z too.. (mounted to the chasis, c/v shafts to wheels) But you'd have to get the 5 gear AND rear diff for the awd to work without breaking stuf.. (correct gear ratios) Yes Audi stuf can be pricy, but I'm sure it'd be easy to find... more so than skyline stuff, and probly cheaper..

do you have any more pics of that? ive seen build shots before, is there a website?

Sorry, I don't have any more information other than it's all wheel drive and RB26dett powered. This AWD topic came up a few times in the past and that picture was saved from one of those threads.

!M!

A better way would be to use the AWD parts from a Astro van that is so equiped. Or, a Typhoon or Syclone.

I thought a 4.3 AWD Astro would be a cool swap but the biggest problem would be the location of the "transfer-case" It would end up occupying the same space as the driver's seat. Maybe with a right hand drive model Z car and convert it into a single seater Z?

That is the same problem with the Skyline GT-R AWD conversion.

You mean the passenger seat area in a LHD car?? The drive-shaft for the front diff is on the left side of the tranny (looking at the engine from the front). How far would the tranny tunnel have to protude into the passenger's side of the interior??

Ahem... you see why I was saying the AWD system from an audi? No transfer case 'bulging out' or offset front driveshaft/axle/ect.. From what I've seen, I think it'd fit in the stock chasis of a Z car with very little moification needed. I just saw a '91 Audi 90 quatro for sale for $800 (engine not running) and thought about this thread this afternoon.. Wish I had the $$$ to play around with this, caus I also have a line on a 260Z "in need of rust repair" :lol: I'm sure a V8 could be made to work/adapted to the Audi tranny, and the front struts/hubs/axles made to fit in the Z front end..

I bet you could get alot of HP out of a turbocharged Audi engine, I think that a engine with a powerband higher in the rpm range would be more suitable as the sudden jerk of low end torque from a powerful V8 would likely destroy the Audi drivetrain. Who really knows for sure until somebody tries it but that would be my biggest concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that they are indestrucaible, but you'd be suprised how strong the Audi drivetrains are.. There are plenty of guys using them behind V8's in ferrari/lambo 'kits' based on Fiero chasis. (I've been doing some reaserch lately..) Aparently, the audi transaxle (for example, the one from the audi 5000 front wheel drive and quatro models) will handle around 400 horse. And while possible to get that power out of a turbo Audi I5, it is a bit on the pricy side.. I've even seen a web site documenting an LS1 swap into a 5000 Quatro..

I dont really remember the swap quite well, but JTR makes a kit so that u could put a V8 in an astrovan, and i didn't see nething about changing the tranny-i also didn't read into it a whole lot......it could prolly take the torque and HP of the V8-i was thinkin AWD but it seems a bit time consuming, and expensive, sum1 should do it and say wht theres turned out to b, so we can try to fix those problems that they had.

I'd try it