HybridZ

How do you install head studs?

Ferd/289

Have not worked with studs much. I know they can take more torque and are stronger because of their inherent design.

Whats the best way to install and de-install studs lets say on a head with stud mounted rockers, or engine block casting hole or use as damper installer? Do you just hold them in the middle with vice grips or what. How do you arrive at the right torque? Any advice would help.

Ferd

I've not a lot of experience on studs, but I believe it is important NOT to torque the stud down (bottomed out hard) into what ever they are being installed in. Is this correct.....anybody?

The rocker stud would torque down like any other fastener of it's size being it has a flange or hex area to stop it from bottoming out.

Clean the holes out completely so the stud will screw in cleanly to the bottom. If the hole is blind then put moly lube (for most applications) or locktite on the threads and screw them in finger tight. If the hole goes into a water jacket you must use a sealer instead of grease or locktite.

Put your head on then coat the washer and nut and exposed threads with moly lube and torque it down.

Most stud kits come with complete instructions and lube. Sealer and locktite you gotta provide.

I use the moly lube from ARP and their stud kits. If you use locktite you must torque to completion before it sets up.

The torque amount is reduced a bit when using moly. My heads usually go a 75 to 80 lbs, but with the moly you hit them at 65 lbs.

Guest 81na ZX

ARP usually use an allen head on the top - atleast thats the way they are on all the ones I've seen. without putting 2 nuts on it, you end up tearing out the top of the studs before you get alot of torque on it.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can also put two nuts on the threads, tighten them against each other, and use a ratchet to reach the desired torque, then remove the double-nut setup.

the only studs that are mentioned in this thread that are torqued are rocker arm studs. Head studs are not torqued, screw them in finger tight. The other guys are right about sealer. Moly is the way to go, but not imperative. Some aluminum head manufacturers call for 65lb-ft torque due to expansion qualities of aluminum