HybridZ

Bay Area smog help - not on a z.

rustrocket

I recently sold my Z, and bought a 84 volvo to replace it as a daily driver. However, the transaction went sour, and i now have a volvo that needs to pass smog at a *TEST ONLY* center, but it reads too high on the NOX section:

Max Ave Meas

15 mph 1136 399 1661

25 mph 966 332 1047

I'd like to go the easiest route to have my car pass, and am open to ANY and all suggestions.

Thanks.

10% denatured alcohol in the tank. Give it a good hard run to 'clean it out'.

I had the same problem with my Z28 (1994). It sat for a long while before I bought it and I failed on NOx also....very high. Took it for a long hard run (full rpm shifts to 3rd gear...at which point I was well over the speed limit). Then I ran the tank down to about 1/4 and dropped in some alcohol. Went straight to the test station, passed at 30ppm NOx, then went and filled the tank with gasoline to fully dilute the alcohol. Worth a try.....

Tim

Well, since you get NOx for having a really high combustion temp the easiest way to fix it is to add octane, slowing the burn. It will bring your HC emmissions up a bit, but it works, I did exactly this in my 91 SHO, I put in 5 gallons of pump 100 from a 76 station and passed with flying colors.