HybridZ

Super Trap mufler on a 6 cyl Z..

datsunlover

I did a quick search, but only found one topic.. and it didn't exactly have the info I'm looking for. Basicaly, I'm wondering if a supertrap will "choke" my 2.8.. ? I'm doing a rebuild w/cam and 2.5 exhast, SU's, ect... and REALLY want to ditch the 'cherry bomb' muffler in the trans tunel. I've decided to go to 2.5" pipe, but what to do for a muffler? Well... A friend of mine has two supertraps he was going to use on a stang, but that project has been scraped. I got to thinking about maybe spliting to a Y at the rear, and having the dual 'traps.. or just one, but I'm not sure yet.. I'm looking for pics of a super trap on a Z with a roll pan (no bumper, no cut out for exhast tip) to get an idea how it would look, if it's even been done.. I had a 'trap on one of my 81 280zx's and liked the sound, but it had FI/fuel problems so I couldn't realy tell if it was 'hurting' perfomance any..

There were dual 'Trapps on one of the rollers that I bought. I threw them away, bad timing I guess. I thought that they were REALLY tacky looking (IMO). The old standard for mild performance L engines was (or is) 2.5" tube with Turbo muffler. Muffler technology has come along way, so it is likely that you can do better than the old Turbo 'can'; but, it flows well....

I guess I should add I have a full race 240 with dual 2.25 pipes and 4" supertrapps. It sees occasional street drives just to make sure everything is good to go. When I do, I have them capped off with 12 discs each, and I'm surprised I haven't got pulled over yet. But power output is probably in the high 200's. A more mild motor might not be as bad.

http://zdriver.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3236&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

Do you run a fuel cell or a stock tank? (Looks like the pipes come out under the tank there...) My goal is about 225 horse, (it's mainly a street car) so maybe noise levlels will be lower than your car..

Yeah, I have a fuel cell, I guess with a stock tank that wouldn't be a possibility.

Hey Datsunlover,

This might be a little late for your plans, but I am running a 2.5" exhaust ( 3" at the bends) with a Canadian Tire "Raptor" muffler.

You may laugh but I've found it to be a very good flowing muffler. Reasonably quiet too!!. Motor runs strong to about 6500 RPMs and at no time does it feel like the exhaust system is holding it back.

Nice part is the cost is about $39 CDN and its been on the car for about 8 years ( summer driving, of course)

:lol: well actually, that was the other option I was thinking of! My friend want's $75 for the two traps he has.. but really, I'd only use one right now.. I have to get the full exhast system built in the spring, as I still have the stock one on there with a 'cherry bomb' in the tunnel. (Also a Crappy tire cheepo hehe) I'm currently re-building the motor, and with the head work/cam I'm getting, I will aparently make power up to 6500, posibly more so I don't want to choke it with a restrictive exhast... Supper traps look cool, but I've always thought they were a bit loud (not a problem with ME, but with the police..) and I was forever scraping the one I had on my zx..

I was thinking about supertrapps for their tunability, but wouldn't the exhaust exit sideways from the pipe with the discs? Its a diffuser so all the exhaust goes out the side with a slower velocity when compared with a normal pipe. Then the exhaust would get sucked into the cabin easier... right?

-Oliver

• 2 months later...

I am running a 4" X 12" Supertrapp on my 240Z with 6X1 headers and a 2.5" exhaust. I run 6 discs when I sneak to the track (pretty loud). At the track I have been experimenting with anywhere 8 discs to baffle only with 0 discs. The ability to tune these is what makes them so great. I have one on my big inch Harley, and was able to tune a great torque curve just by adjusting discs.

Guest iskone

I can speak from experience here(for once). Super Trapps are killer I'll never use anything else again. I have dual Super Trapps on my 240, 17" x 5". I was running 12 discs a peice in street trim, loud as hell when I got on it. Never got pulled over. I've since gone to 5 discs a peice, quiter more bottom end. Just one 5" trapp is good upto 400-500hp. I'd jump all over the trapps your buddy has.

They will fit but may require cutting.

8740My_Z_Rear-med.JPG