HybridZ

Please Help: Bottom End ?

z_cars_rule

Hi.

I have a 1981 280ZX NA with a F54 Block and a N42 head. I am curently in the process of building this into a turbo motor. I will be purchasing a set of JE forged pistons and was wondering if my stock con-rods and crank would handle the added power of the turbo motor.

I dont plan on going over the top, but i would like a nice fast street car.

So if anyone has any recommendations as to shot-peening or putting in turbo rods please help me out.

Thanks - Chris

• 6 months later...
Thanks for all the fast replies.

at this stage it looks like i will be shot peening them and getting new bolts put in.

Is the NA crank the same as the Turbo or are they different in anyway?

bump for an answer to this question. Ive searched and found no relative answer. Thanks

Guest bastaad525

I thought the turbo crank and rods were all the same? Definately they are not a different length, not sure if they are beefier though.

Stock stuff should all be fine if you are keeping it moderate, your biggest enemy is going to be compression ratio, with that N42 head, and especially if you go with flat top pistons.

what are you planning on using for fuel and ignition control? This will be much more important than what you decide to run in the bottom end, I think.

All Lseries cranks are forged, and all of the L28 cranks and rods are the same.

As far as the RB25 swap, it is a lot more involved, and a lot more expensive to rebuild. It's also going to take you a lot more time. It is really a big project.

All Lseries cranks are forged' date=' and all of the L28 cranks and rods are the same.

As far as the RB25 swap, it is a lot more involved, and a lot more expensive to rebuild. It's also going to take you a lot more time. It is really a big project.[/quote']

thanks that is what i wanted to know. Also if i were to build the bottom end of a N/A L28e would it be just as reliable as a L28et? (newbie question) Is the L28e block ribbed differently from the l28et?

Guest bigbadzcar99

As far as I know the bottom ends should be the same. The blocks will be a little different (siameased for turbo app.) but the crank and rods are all forged. I am in the process of a turbo swap and am using the n/a bottom end from my 77 for the project. The stock pistons are good to around 350 hp. from what I have been reading, so im gonna go with those also, not planning for more then 10 lbs. of boost. Hope this helps.