HybridZ

IDing CVs from turbo

What is the visible difference between 280ZX CV units and 280ZXT units? I'm trying to find a pair for someone's project car and don't want to waste time and money on the wrong set.

I've gone through the search function but didn't see a picture or description of the difference.

Thanks

Your question is somewhat confusing...

The 280ZX used three different axles:

1. The U-joint axle

2. The R200 CV axle

3. The R180 CV axle

The 280ZX turbo only used the R200 CV axle (because they had the R200 diff). The R180 CV axles were somewhat rare being used on only the later NA 2+2 automatics. Every other ZX got the U-joint axles.

So are you asking what is different between the R200 CV axle and the R180 CV axle?

If you are, then the answer is the difference between a R200 CV axle and a R180 CV axle is the flange piece which fits into the differential and the length of the center shaft. The R180 CV axle has a 26mm OD flange shaft and the R200 has a larger shaft that is 32mm in diameter.

BTW, it is more difficult to visually spot the difference between the 280ZX [CV] turbo axle and a NA Z31 CV axle. The center shaft length is different, as NA Z31 uses a longer center shaft. The Z31 sheet metal end cap spring holder protrusion on the wheel flange is smaller than the corresponding one on the ZX turbo axle, but I‘m not convinced that Nissan only used the smaller protrusion on the Z31's.

The turbo Z31 CV axle is very different from the Z31 NA axle.

Thanks for the informative post.

My concern is that I will not be able to visually identify a correct CV unit if it has been removed from a car. Getting a set from a turbo sounds like one of the best ways to go about it. Are there any websites that contain pics of the different CV units?

Thanks for the reply to a misplaced post too (suspension vs drivetrain)....