HybridZ

A new kind of turbo/supercharger?

big-phil

What if.....you took a turbo, and on the exhaust side welded a pully type of thing and mounted it to a fan belt to the crank, then had the forced air going to the intake, you would have to figure out the size of the pulley so it would force the air, kind of making a superchrger type of effect?? Would that work? I was reading the artical on upgrading to a turbo, and I thought of this. Seems to simple but could it work? Would you have to change the computer? I do some fab work and making brakets and the such is not a problem. I have a friend who has a machine shop. Tig welder, mig, allum, welder, bender, lathe etc. Just a wet dream.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Turbos spin at 150k rpm, engines spin at <7k rpm max. An engine spinning the turbine couldn't spin it fast enough to make boost.

They already make something exactly like what you're describing... it's called a centrifugal supercharger. Look it up for details.

That's what a centrifical supercharger is. You can get kits from Vortech, ATI and Paxton.

They are not as efficient as turbos since the have some parasitic losses, but they produce less heat then the older roots style super chargers. You can adapt one of those centrifical superchargers to an L-28, but they aren't cheap.

Guest magnadyne

Not only do they spin faster and have to use some sort of a gear box, but sense they are physically attached to the motor, the high you rev the motor - the faster it spins. This makes it easy to make the compressor blow hot on a poorly tuned system, and reduces the amount of options of compressors to use.

Turbos stay in their optimum range longer because the wastegate regulates how fast the blower spins.

I would say a centrifugal supercharger is better than a roots type, but nothing beats a turbo. ;)

Actually, there is a belt driven turbocharger out there. They used toothless gears to get the gear ratios required for such high reduction. Teeth would cause waaaay too much friction and heat to be useful at those RPM's. The toothless gears are called friction wheels. Basically, they are hard steel wheels pressed tightly together in an oil bath. I remember seeing a website for it a few years back. I think it was made in Holland....I can't seem to find the link anymore....maybe because the device might be extinct.

I would say a centrifugal supercharger is better than a roots type, but nothing beats a turbo. ;)

actually, i would have to disagree with you there. i think the centrifugal s/c's are the dirt of the forced induction methods. think of it this way:

turbo - lag, full boost from point of spool up to redline and will generally stay there unless you have an oversized turbo (these days with vgt and ball bearing technology lag is almost becoming a thing of the past)

roots - near instaneous boost, sometimes will lose boost at the top end, a bit harder to aftercool

centrifugal - lag, no full boost until redline, when you shift boost will drop a bit since its being spun by a belt.

when it comes down to it, imo turbo>roots>centrifugal. the turbo is the most efficient of them all no if's, and's, or but's.

my idea for an awesome s/c would be a cvt centrifugal. if you could do a cvt type gear box in there you could have instaneous boost like the roots supercharger and keep full boost to redline.

it still probably wouldn't be as efficient as a turbo due to parasitic losses but most likely have full boost throughout the whole rev range would probably make it faster than most turbo cars.

also, since most centrifugal s/c's are designed like a turbo compressor you could easily aftercool it.

for those that might be getting confused on the aftercooler lingo - an aftercooler is the true term for what people have come to know as an intercooler. it doesn't mean water to air or anything... aftercooler is just as it sounds... it cools the air after the compression of the air. intercoolers are generally used on very exotic setups and were used on old WWII airplanes if i remember correctly.

an intercooler sits inbetween two compressing units. i believe it was volvo who screwed up and made everyone think an aftercooler was an intercooler. damn you volvo!! lol

in the end, as i said above, with the VGT (variable geometry turbine) and ball bearing technology a turbo can easily have next to no lag which would make the cvt s/c un-needed... most likely it'd come down to personal preference and space required. centrifugal s/c's tend to be a bit easier to put in an engine bay since they don't have as much piping... but on the other hand could also be difficult since it must be driven by a belt. each application has it pros and cons so its up to whomever as to which setup they want.

so if I want to turbo charge my 78 280z (its fuel injected), what parts do I need from a 280zx turbo to make it work? would I need the computer? cam? injectors? Or just the turbo, exhaust manifold. What is the cheapest way to get some turbo? and would taking a turbo off a 280zx be worth it, don"t they have somthing like 7lbs of boost stock? Can you get more without getting a diff. turbo?

Looks like you really need to do allot of research here. You need to learn functionality of a turbo and how it works before you think about installing one on your Z. There have been countless threads on this site and STICKY threads about how to turbo charge a Z. There are many different ways to do it right and wrong.. so Research Research Research. third sticky down is a thread called TURBO FAQ BEGUINNERS GUIDE.. I suggest you read all of the posts there. Here is the link....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84860

you should be able to do it for less. everyone said i'd have to spend 2000-3000 to turbo my maxima but i did it for under 1500. if i did it again i could have done it for less than 1000. i even know of a guy who probably spent less than 500 turboing his maxima. granted he had a lot of parts, knowledge, and skill from working on buick gn's his whole life but basically... its possible to do it for less.

Guest Tim78zt

it's true, Phil. Bring your car to the Dallas or Arlinton Z Club meetings next month or to All Z Car this Saturday and I'll show you my 78 Turbo. You do not need to drop a lot of cash to "turbo" a 78 Z. Also you might be estimating your HP a little high. I had a baseline dyno run done on my car with the stock motor before my turbo went in and it showed 125rwhp. Hope that doesn't depress you too bad!!

Tim78zt

Guest Tim78zt

that's the place, Phil...820 @ Sun Valley exit. Down the service rd to 5101 Mosson. I plan to get there between 11 and noon. I have to get my Z inspected tomorrow first thing. Don't know how long the line will be. If you want to meet at the inspection station just call me. PM me for the phone #.

Tim