HybridZ

What Is Wrong With Me? Speed Addict?

maichor

I pulled the LS1 Velo Rossa out of the garage again on Saturday because a few friends were in from out of town. They all had a white knuckled ride. So, what does it say about me if my friends are afraid to ride in my car and I want to go faster? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I think I'm a speed addict!

One of the guys drives a C5 convertible and the other a Dodge Charger. Both of them were boosting my ego talking about how fast the car was and how they like the lines of the body. All I could think of was that if felt good but I would like more top end, cam? long tubes now available? Yeah, I think I've got the bug. I need to get the car safety inspected, but I have a long way to go. No brake lights, cracked windshield etc. I don't dare drive it around the way it is.

Does anyone else here suffer from the same illness?

my sister used to be afraid to ride with me but then she told me that she reasoned that if God wanted her to die, she would, and if He didn't wish for her to die she would be fine. :| this in my '81 2+2 N/A. i can't wait to see what she says when i get the '73 up and running... :twisted:

I've scared almost evryone I know with my driving over the years.. Not scary to me, but some people just can't handle being sideways, drifting slightly through corners, or WOT acceleration. :twisted: Most of my male friends are ready for anything now, and don't freak out too much. Actually, a few of them ASK me to drive like a nut sometimes.. While most of the women I know.. well, they hang on for dear life, keep saying 'AHhhh!!! Slow down!! holy $hi...' ect I have the same problem with speed.. it's that old saying "too much power is almost enough!

I know someone who was telling me his rode (MC) sooooo fast, etc, etc, I told him he better slow down. Short story he crashed a few weeks later, broke ribs etc. Better to brag about driving smooth. Also I asked a CHP about speeding and he told me the real issue was not speeding keeping a safe distance at speed.

Mr Smooth

I guess I better clarify for those who imagine me weaving through traffic at high speeds. I do not condone crazy driving. I am very careful. We were on flat, straight, divided road and I never passed or ran up on another car. My car probably feels so much faster to them because it is a no roof roadster and very windy. I also never got out of 3rd gear. I don't think they were really scared, they just were commenting on how quick the car was. My point was that their impression was that the car was super fast and my impression was that I need more top end.

Yes, once again please drive safely.

I don't drive stupid either, but non of them stayed in the car long enough to find find that out. I hardly ever wreck...

my friends used to be scared to ride with me. Now they seem confident in my abilities.

i dont drive stupid' date=' i just drive fast[/quote']

That is all true, except my tires are 335/35/17's and so it is more like low 90's at redline. I never went over 85 though. Just WOT acceleration rowing 1st, 2nd, and pulling part of third. I will have to take it to the track soon. I may have to put a roll bar in first. Anyone know the rule for an roadster?

• 4 weeks later...

hey Maichor, this seems to be an appropriate place to ask.... Now that it is running and sorta on the road.... how would you describe the rear suspension's affects on the car? I know there are a lot of variables.... it being a roadster now probably changes overall feel a bit too, but could you give a brief technical and butt-tech overview or opinion on handling and feel? thanks

tannji

I would have to say that overall, it is smooth and stable. Especially launching and during wheel spin. Cornering feels tight and crisp with very little body roll. Trying to slide the rear out under was more difficult than I imagined, which makes my wife happy. Unfortunately, the only time I drove the car before the makeover was with completely shot springs and struts on all four corners. Seriously, the car looked slammed and it had stock springs.

The bad news, Bumps. I have driven on some poor roads and things feel very stiff. It handles like a race car, not a luxury sedan. I have yet to replace the front struts, that should smooth things out a bit. I will let you know once that is done. Also, I need new tires on the rear. The 335's are not meant to be on the 10.5" wheels. I am going to go down to a 315, that will straighten out the sidewall and should change the feel as well.

All in all, I am very pleased.

About the driving fast thing...Ive scared a few people in my car, not necessarily because of the speed, but because of the whole experience of my car. It's loud, it vibrates a lot, and the response is pretty sudden. Though I have gone for slight high speed runs alone in my car and occasionally get the car sideways in turns, I never really though of myself as an overly fast driver, and my thoughts were confirmed when I went for a ride in a friends 745li. First, let me say that the car rides amazingly smooth and silent, so to be scared in that car is an accomplishment. My friend had me white knuckled holding on to the door when he threw the huge car into turns and hit 138 in light traffic on a highway. I was honestly scared and am not sure if I'll go for another ride with this guy. There is a difference between driving fast, and driving scary.

I've never actually run a drag strip before, but have raced on most of the major road courses in the country and Mosport in Canada. Anyway, since we are on the speed issue, this video will show you how there are different worlds out there. Sure, the V8 Z kicks ***, then you see something like this vid with this BMW M3 GTR. From what I heard, it's only 450 HP and 2900 lbs, but there's a ton to be said for modern suspension technology and big road racing slicks!! Also, this is the reason that they don't run the full length Nurburgring these days. Enjoy!!

http://www.specmiatavideos.com/Other%20Videos/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv