HybridZ

Sr20-det

Guest 280ZXSR20-DET

Guest 280ZXSR20-DET

Do you think a SR20-DET will swap pretty easy into a 280Z. The engine will be modified but I was wonder what people would think about the swap.

Guest 280ZXSR20-DET

Ya I was looking at your SR20det and it looks great, I am wondering what kind of power your putting down with your mods and if you have dragged the car what is your quarter mile time. Also how does it feel compared to the L28.

Thanks

right now at 7psi the car is putting down about 275whp. After the break in of the new internals its going to be at about 400whp. The car is not meant for drag racing but once its tuned at high boost we are going to make a few runs just to see how its doing. To me the sr20det compared to the l28et is a big difference, you can feel how much easier it is to rev the motor all the way out with no hassle.

I was also interested in an SR20 swap in my 280ZX, but I was concerned about being sluggish off the line, since I know the torque won't be the same. Speaking of the mounting, did you weld something new to the frame rails, or did you attach something to the existing mounts on the frame rails to move the engine farther back?

Guest 280ZXSR20-DET

I was also concerned about the weight, but my 280ZX has no power options and I am leaving the interior out of my car. I am just putting in buckets a dash and door panels. Also I have the non-turbo model so it is all ready pretty slugish. The SR20-DET is all aluminum and is much lighter than the Iron block L28. So the weight should be reduced with the SR20. Also I was wonder what kind of forged internals you put into your SR20.

Guest 81na ZX
I was also interested in an SR20 swap in my 280ZX, but I was concerned about being sluggish off the line, since I know the torque won't be the same.

A 100% stock sr20det has something like 33% more torque than the stock L28 your used to. L28's aren't exactly torque monsters.

A 100% stock sr20det has something like 33% more torque than the stock L28 your used to. L28's aren't exactly torque monsters.

Is that on or off boost? I'm just wondering if the newer turbos on an sr20 would be more efficient than the t3 on a stock l28? BTW the wiring on the sr20z is a stand alone ems. But alex can tell you how hard or easy it was.

http://www.zeroyon.com

Thats my website, click on Tech and follow the link to Service Manuals.

As far as an SR powered car being sluggish off the line.... heh heh.. my old 180sx had 395rwhp, 362ft/lbs of torque... Rev it and drop, and that sucker ripped.

Just to give you an idea, here's a video of my old car on the short track:

http://66.194.152.253/~videof6/features/hugh/1bad180sxVSskylineGTR.mpg

Bear in mind, that car was clearing nearly 3000 pounds with me in it. :-D