HybridZ

Anyone have an HVLP paint gun for sale? Input on brands?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Guest JAMIE T

I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I am under the assumption that flake of any substancial size needs to be sprayed with a Siphon gun and not a gravity feed. Appearantly the flake is too heavy for the gravity feed guns. If you are looking a HVLP Siphon guns, ignore this post.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I'm a long time Eastwood customer, but thanks for mentioning them so that anyone who reads this thread in the future will have another source.

I got all the body panels bolted on today for a test fit, and I'm fixing a few small dents this week. Then I plan to start the actual paint job in 2-4 weeks. I'm going to be painting with Titan guns.

Here's a "before" pic:

firebird_front.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

Also, it is recommended you put a couple of marbles in the cup to help keep the flake suspended. Kinda like a rattle can.

If you don't take measures to keep the flakes suspended, you will get stripes in your paint job.

....i have a gravity HVLP gun for sale...$50.00....i bought it from JCWhitney for 99.00 and painted my old 72 Chevelle...its in excellent condition and was easy to learn on....my garage painting days are over[neighbors were compaining]..LOL.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Got it. Give me some time to see if I need it. I'm bidding on one on Ebay right now and I need to wait until the auction ends to see if I won or not. I'll let you know either way.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
could u post the pics of the finished car?

I'll post pics when I get it done.

Right now I'm still waiting on the flake and hood scoop in the mail, then I'll have to spend a few days prepping the car for paint. I should have it done within a couple weeks, but I can't rule out unexpected setbacks.

I got another cool idea. Ever seen that rainbow glitter window tint? Well that's what the flake I'm using on the hood looks like. I'm going to get some of that tint and use it to continue the flames onto the windshield. I've never seen that done before.

I'm also masking the taillights and painting them into a different shape... maybe circles.

Here's what the car looked like last week:

firebird_front.jpg

And here it is this afternoon:

front_ds.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crazycustom240z

I have an Iwata LPH 400LV 1.3 tip its the best gun I've ever used. Its easy to clean but it is expensive around $450 new but look in pawn shops thats where I got mine and most of the time those guys don't know what they have.

good luck

good lord, 9.0cfm at what psi? ALOT of things will work on that, every spray gun that's for sure.

My DeVillbis only requires 25 at the tank pressure, and i reg to 12-15 at the gun. The Gun is a $600 gun I found online for sale for 270. My only complaint with it... It came with the "no drip" lid.. After the first winter and summer in the garage, the plastic top shrank. So i have to wrap tape around it before I spry to get a tight seal. I'd look for something with a screw on lid and avoid plastic.

The HVLP does take a lil bit to get used to... I'd recomend playing with it on some cardboard before spraying the car. Especially when you spray clear, I use about 1/3 of the flow for clear as I do for color. Maybe that's just my gun though. Also... with your flake, make sure you have a big filter in the cup, or remove the filter.

Happy Spraying

(my favorite part of workn' on cars)

-Ed

Oh, almost forgot, I dont' know where you live, but go down to your local paint store, not a sherwin williams or anything like that, but a local place. They should have some dang nice HVLP's for cheap. After I spent the dough on mine, I found a new paint shop that sold some HVLP's with plastic cups and screw on lids. My friend bought one, he paid 90 painted his 56 Ford with it. I'd say mine sprays better, but I also payed three times as much. For the money it's much more than just a "primer" gun.

Guest rick458

Northern tool has a 1.7mm Primer filler gun, a 1.4mm Base/clears and a regulator for $119.99, 7-9 cfm @15-45 psi 1000ml cup. My 5hp Craftsman puts out 9 cfm on a good day. I still need a dryer.

I will be doing the epoxy primer on my work car, and if that doesn;t look like a Tard did it I will try for the Base/clear.

I am checking out a local PPG tomorrow to see options

Guest rick458

Keep us posted, I got an ok looking job from rattle cans, so I should get a pretty good looking job from the guns

Where is a good site to look for colors of base coats?