HybridZ

could this work as a quick fix...

Guest ON3GO

ok so i have a exhaust leak right BEFORE my turbo.. coming from the exhaust manifold to the turbo.

its a new gasket and etc, i tighened all the bolts as tight as i could get it and it still leaks.

now im going to the track to do some shake down runs this weekend and i want to do a quick fix to it before the track.

and when i have time ill do it correct.

but can i just put some JB weld where the two flanges meet?

think it will work?

just as a quick fix so i can boost better at the track.

mike

I dono man.. if the JB weld seeps into the crack, leaks a bit inside, and hardens, it'll probly create a bit of a restriction in there.. and posibly (from my thnking) break off and toast the turbo.. imagine a hardened piece of JB weld the size of a ball bearing flying around in there..

I checked the JB Weld website and they say it can withstand 500 degrees F for long periods and 600 for up to 10 minutes. I don't think it will hold very long at the temps a turbo exhaust manifold sees.

What about welding up the flange and then grind it flat so the gasket seals it? Would be more of a permanent fix but take longer to do.

Wheelman

it will then make the turbo welded to the mani.. which i dont want.

im just trying to think of a easy fix before i can fix it for real... track is this weekend..

not that ill run good anyways as i have bald tires and only stock boost.

mike

No I didn't mean weld the turbo to the manifold but weld on the maiting surface of the flange then grind it flat so the gasket has a good flat surface to seal to.

After I suggested it I thought about how hard it would be to get a good flat surface the gasket would seal to so maybe it's not such a good idea anyway.

Wheelman

You might not even have to weld on it before grinding. If the surface is thick enough, maybe just a few thousandths taken off with a belt sander (steady hands here.... :) )might be enough to make it seal. If not that, maybe trying two gaskets instead of one? I dunno, thats all I can think of for now.

Mike

its probably not the easiest answer, but if you pull the manifold youll be able to check the flange to see how warped it is, if its warped take it to a GOOOD machine shop and ask them to mill it just enough to flatten it out. make sure to cross torque your bolts just like you would wheel lug nuts, IMO thatll leave no way for the flange to warp again, also make sure to check the mating surface on the turbo it might not be the manifold at all

The J-B Welds material gets softer the hotter the part becomes. My experience with this product is that it also looses it's bond when the metal get hot (And in my case, hot was not 500º, but more in the neighborhood of 350º-400º). I would not consider this as a quick fix.

JB weld will be blown out by the pressure of the exaust. Sorry to say it will not work. A better bet (very temporary) may be some of that resin / fibercloth wrap you can buy to fix exaust leaks. At least that way you can wrap it around, and it will hold itself. Maybe JB weld then the wrap, but JB weld will not hold on its own....don't ask how I know..... :oops:

JB weld will hold the pressure but it sure wont take that heat. I had the same issue with my drivers side header on my car mating up to teh exhaust piping. Even with 2 gaskets in there it still leaked. I finally had to remove the manifold and have it milled flat. Problem fixed.

I would take the turbo off and see if the turbo flange is warped or the exhaust manifold is warped. Maybe you'll be lucky and it will be the turbo and you can have that milled flat? Atleast then you wont have to take off the exhaust manifold!

Guy