HybridZ

straight pipe experimentation!!!

olie05

I had a revalation at school today!!!

Instead of concentrating on my work, I was thinking about my car (whats new) and thinking if things to do with it. Then the exhaust came into my mind, and the design of the MSA turbo exhaust system... I could simply take the muffler off and stick on a 2.5 inch pipe!!!! So thats what I did after school today. Right now I'm running stock manifold and the entire turbo system, minus the turbo muffler, and no cat! I like the way it sounds, but its too loud for the street, so i'm going to put the muffler back on after I go racing on friday. I really only did it to get back at the people with cutouts so loud that I can't hear my own engine!!! Any one else running straight pipes out there??

-Oliver

Guest HighwaystaR

I probably will be, well with a glasspack but still pretty much straight pipe. Im used to V8s and always run duel with no cats and glasspacks cuz im a redneck. if it sounds too importy ill stick a flowmaster or somethin on there

I'm currently running on my SBC Ceramic coated block huggers, a 90' bend, 12" of pipe, empty glass pack, 20" of pipe, and a 45' bend in dual 2.5". And it is way too loud. I want to quiet it up to mack the sound of the V8, the way it sits now no one will pay to play but they want to see it run.

I have a straight pipe with a gutted muffler, so basiclly just a straight, its pretty loud as i have a cam among other things, but man it makes some nice noises. My favorite is decelerating from high rpm in a lowish gear, it makes a great sound. I have a clip of it revving here http://www.geocities.com/zer0zgtr/zerorev.mp3 I am about to do a turbo conversion, and am wondering what a 3in dump behind the front wheel would sound like

i have the twice pipes setup.. with no cat..

and 2 glass-packs...

I LOVE IT SOO MUCH!!

I like the gurgle and popping of the exhuast.. makes me feel like I have a rally car.. hehe.. and the occasional POW when declerating hard..

My bumper is burned .. i swear it spits flames when my exhuast is really really hot

On my ZXT I am running just JeffP's 3" downpipe....So I only have about 3' of exhaust.

With a turbo on the car, its not nearly as loud as you would think it would be. It actually sounds fairly nice once the car warms up, but its loud and raspy during coldstart =(.

Nothing beats the sound of a straight six at 14psi with an open downpipe...I get asked "WTF is in that thing?!" quite often. This spring I am going to have the 3" system completed all the way back, and still probably run without a muffler.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a cutout eventualy. I just put the muffler back on yesterday, cus I ended up not going racing and I took this girl to a place that was like 40min. of driving (conversations can't be had with a straight pipe). So I still have the straight pipe set up in the garage and it only takes about 10 min to swap it out... Oh well, I had my 4 days of fun!!! Of course now I have one less thing cops can pull me over for.

-Oliver

• 1 month later...
Guest 305240

I fail to see how it can be too loud. While in high school (the 60's) the biggest craze was a set of cherry bombs. fords always sounded meaner than Chevys. With the mufflers up under the car in the cat area, then the dual pipes running all the way back, it should sound great! Another good muffler was what was known as a California turbo. They roared with authority when you got down on them. Anyone know if they are still in production?

Guest tony78_280z

I got Car Chemistry Header inserts in my car. With dual 2 1/4 exhuast, after the headers my pipes makes one 90o turn and is piped out behind the tires. The inserts are on the very end of the pipe.

These inserts are about as loud as glass packs once properly installed. One problem I had is that they get quieter the closer you get to propper air/fuel. (Something that is not mentioned on their webpage, but was informed to me via ken who runs the customer support.) So I down jetted my carb and the volume decreased. The great thing is that if it is still too loud for you you can always add another set. Something I am considering doing some point in the future.

They advertise as much power loss as running strait headers, slightly less sound volume as glasspacks, and they can help with scavenging. Only the sound level can I verify with out some high tech dyno equipment. The best thing is that once installed in the pipe, they take no more room than the pipe its self, so you can run dual exhuast and not need to worry about hanging two bulky mufflers. Think about how much less my set up weighs compared to another single pipe full length system with muffler much less a dual pipe full length system with mufflers.

Ken @ their customer support was very helpful and corisponded with multiple e-mails to assit in my particular problems I was experienceing with the inserts.

If you want it toned down but still like the hard core raspy sound, this is your product. Order through Jegs as it is cheaper than directly from them. (at least it was when I ordered it.)

[ No I'm not affiliated with the company, and no I don't get a kick back in any way. (I should though!) I was just impressed with the product, and personell! ]