HybridZ

What about a speedo?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Hey, I am also wondering what I should do about a speedo cable. I am going to use an Auto Meter speedo but don't know which one to order. The trans has the gear drive in it for a speedo cable. You guys think I can get the cable driven speedo and make it work? I ordered all of my gauges except the speedo, yesterday. OHHH MAN! My car is going in the garage in a couple of days for the reconstruction! The body work is about done. The suspension is getting close(still need to fab up the TC rods to get the front steering). I've got most of the stuff to put the ZXTT R230 rear in it. AND, I'm getting real close to a spending limit.

Guest JAMIE T

I'm not so much concerned with a style of guage(though I have the same gauges as you) as I am with the method of sending the signal to the speedo. I see you've chosen the electronic/progammable speedo. Does it come with a sender to adapt the Nissan gear drive to the electronic signal? It doesn't seem like that stuff would be universal.

I'm assuming, by reading the features with this speedo, that it can be used/programed to work with the electrical sending sensor already on the RB25det 5 spd, or for that matter, any electrical sending unit....

I hope I'm right.... :shock: anyone that knows want to step up with conformation?

It looks like it just has a regular speedo gear set-up.

is that the trans you got from Stony? if so then I'm sure its a 25det trans. As far as the speedo sensor, I really don't know what years came without the electric sensor and with a mech cable. I guess they can be swapped out somehow....

Maybe he can answer this better since it was his. I'd like to know also.

I was thinking the same thing John. Who makes the gear display you have in yours? Also, how's my hood coming along?

The gear display is an option on the Quaife sequential transmission that I had int he Z. FYI... its on eBay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7949020385

Check your e-mail James. Hood will be ready on Thursday!

• 2 weeks later...

Jamie, what did you come up with on your speedo issue? I think you can put a complete speedo sender unit from a awd rb26 trans into your 25 trans to make your AutoMeter electrical speedo work...

I'd be willing to bet several folks here that have ended up with those trans with their motorset purchase, will not be needing them...

Am I on track here with this post, or did I turn down the wrong road somewhere along the thread ..... :rolleyes:

I'd like to hear what you ended up doing...

joel

Guest JAMIE T

Joel, you're so smart! You are on the right track with this thread! That's a good idea. I need to check to see who has a AWD tranny with it still attached. I'm not going to let the speedo issue slow me down. I don't need it to drive it!