HybridZ

Jaguar rear end

Guest SHARKMAN

Guest SHARKMAN

has anybody installed a jaguar rear end in a 280z? 1982-1985with dual inboard disc brakes . Im told they sell from 300-1500 . ford five bolt pattern. anypictures and info would be of help. THANKS SHARKMAN.

Im not sure what the advantage in swapping to this setup, but hey, more power to ya. The setup you are thinking about has a clutch type LSD that can be bolted into it. It uses a single wishbone/lower control arm and uses the halfshaft and U-joints to keep the thing upright. There is a forward aiming bar also, that forms some sort of A between it and the lower wishbone. Twin coil over type shocks that will fit a 2.5" id spring on them without any terrible work.

The inboard brakes are a pain in the ass, in a jag anyways. When rotors need to be done, its easier to drop the whole rear end out of the car than try and change the rotors in the car. The calipers are two piston and use a pretty standard pad. The Ebrake is pretty sketchy and uses a wierd linkage/mechanical caliper that is seperate from the actual brake caliper.

The bolt pattern is the chevy pattern, 5x4.75 I think. Anyways, hope this helps ya out a little in your quest for a more hybrid Z!

Ill take a few pics tomorrow at work, we've got a rear end out of a car on the floor right now. Later!

Kenny

I helped a friend of mine pull one of those at the junkyard. They are a very stout setup, but are on the extreme side of being heavy. The center section is made by Salisbury, and is essentially a Dana 44 (IIRC). That alone weighs well over a hundred pounds..... I suppose the swap could be done easily enough though, the entire unit can be unbolted from the car in its own subframe.

Mike

I have a complete Jag front and rear suspension sitting in my driveway...everytime I walk passed them, my mind starts to race and wander "What if....." but yes, very heavy. The front is also completely self contained.....4 bolts hold it to the jag chassis.....

Tim

Guest SHARKMAN

Hey thanks guys. I'm not too worried about weight that much. I have an Arizona Z camel gt road race clip setup. The front end and the rear combined weight is 54 lbs. That combo saved a lot of weight. I have taken everything off that could be removed.

A good freind of mine has a jag rear end in his 1955 ford f100. It does infact have a ford bolt pattern. He says that the half shafts come apart by removing a g-clip. Not a big deal, or so he says. Anyway how often will i need to replace rotors when the car is only being driven on weekends? I think the braking capabilities would be worth while. The strength would handle the demands of my healthy sbc 400. So now all I have to do is find one for a good price. I guess I'll just have to get along with the r200 until I can get one. If anyone has pictures of the rear end installed in a z-car, I would love to see them. Any other info will be appreciated as well.

Thanks guys,

SHARKMAN

As I recall, the jag rear end has some ridiculously low ratios too, something like 2.8 I think. Would work really well with a SBC/TH400 setup.

Like he said. This is the reason that JTR does so well. You just can’t move a heavy car with gears like that. You could go for the six cylinder gear set, which is higher but you will loose the posi. The V12 cars in OZ had a higher posi gear ratio.

The only thing I worried about with this rear end was reports that the wheels loose there geometry under high power loads. A set of urethane bushings might cure that problem.

Guest SHARKMAN

Dot- I did some research and i found out 1972-1979 has posi and 3.56 gears. After that they did away with the posi and changed the gears to 2.8. I think your right urithane(not sure i spelled that right oh well) is the only way to go. If i were to buy a posi unit and upgraded to disc brakes, and changed from four to five bolt pattern it would cost a lot more than $250.00. Maybe i will use fiberglass door skins, hood, rear hatch to make up the difference in the weight. Then almost the whole car would be fiberglass. The car would still have " IRS "

THANKS SHARKMAN

Guest SHARKMAN

Thank you very much for the pictures and the info.That was a real clean installation. The xjs rear end has dual inboard brakes. and posi, but almost the same. They both will take hard use so I'm told and still give you the IRS the same as the z always had.

THANKS AGAIN

SHARKMAN