HybridZ

Jim McNemars car BURNED UP Today...

Mikelly

It does make me wonder about Sparco seats. I wonder how Sparco would react if you show them the pictures and explain the situation. Seems to me it went up a little too easily. Sparco should be very interested in getting that seat for examination. Might be a pearl mixed in with the dung.

- Joe

Yup, that is the car we did all the brake and suspension work on and installed the Quaiffe in.

The cage in that car is ALL cromoly and is the same exact cage that will be installed in my Z after this one is done. The shop has done a really nice job on fitting the cage to the car on the driver's side to clear the Sparco seats.

As of now, The guys at the shop have cleaned the floor pans and paint damage to the roof and cage was removed. The roof was primed to inhibit rust and they were working on the gages, dash, interior wiring, and prepping the cage and floor pans for re-paint. They thought they could make of the time lost in a few days (4 at most), but I knew they would be set back for four days on the wiring alone. Jim's car will be completed mechanically, then we'll sort out his brake/ front hub issues (Ross' new hubs had the 300ZX offset, impacting fender to tire clearance, so we're going with Jamie's front hub 240Z offset design with slip over brake rotor hats.), do his corner weights and alignment, and get it off to the paint shop for the repair to the roof, the cut out of the extra rear exhaust tail pipe port in the rear valance, and a few other minor touches. Then I think (And Jim can chime in here) it goes off for interior install for carpet and such!

This whole "Fire" situation has made me re-evaluate my working relationship with people in my garage, and I've got to tell you guys that I probably wouldn't be doing another one of these for someone unless I did it my way. Those seats should never have been in the car, and the shop owner was the catalyst behind their install... he wanted to show Jim the progress they were making, and installing the seats was a final touch... 4 bolts and 40 seconds per seat...

Mike

A co-worker of mine had his motorcycle (with sidecar, pretty cool actually) become engulfed in flames when he was working on it recently. Apearantly he was removing the gas tank so he could get down to the alternator, and probably due to dry weather and static, a small explosion occurred, starting his bike on fire. It melted a number of things before he could step into the garage (working in his driveway) and grab a CO2 bottle (welding bottle actually, did great on the fire). Please BE CAREFUL!

I to had a similar thing happen recently as 240Z2NV mentioned, although my car is stripped. I had some papers in my car, laying on the floorboards (a printout from the Sparco website with seat dimesions of all things) while I was welding in my tranny mount. I went inside to take a break, and when I went back out, there was a lot of smoke in the garage. Sure enough, the papers and a large piece of cardboard for making templates had burned to ash, including some tie downs and other plastic crap laying on the floorboard. It is so easy to forget about the other stuff on the other side of the piece of metal in the excitement of working on the car. I sympathize...

Joshua