HybridZ

What wide body kit is this?

Guest 280zdude

I think Bob Hanvey is a member here and he purchase this car in Georgia. I know, because I took a look at the car when it was for sale (out of my price range). There are several links to photos of the car go here:http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/72Datsun.html

The car speaks for itself !!!!!!!!!

Hey guys this is my first time posting, but I have been lurking around this forum for about a year now. I have to say I love this place. Also the car on craigslist was purchased by me in the bay area. I bought the car a couple months ago and have really big plans for it. I believe it is a GTU widebody kit because those pictures don't include the bumper but it came with the car, and it looks just like some of the old school gtu widebody kits i have seen on this site. Also it has 280z lights in the back but is a 240z because I read on this site that the the 240z floor frame rails only go 3/4 way back like this car. Overall the car has practically no rust that I have found, and is in really good condition. I had a friend who owns a bodyshop take a look at it and he was very impressed on how the flares were molded on to the car. Right now I am sanding the body to get it primered and then plan to move on to the suspension.

Thanks for the comments.

el240z, you might want to have some molds done of those flares before you paint them or modify them. They look like the original Datsun Comp IMSA flares. The history of the car seems to say so too. Many on this forum have tried to find these flares. The ones from Arizona Z look different. There were many versions, I have a nice street variation but I think you got some of the good ones. Some vintage racers might be interested too. Here is a picture taken by RacerX of the Frisselle car in the 70's.

normal_FriselleZcar-RRSV.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase. I totally agree with zlalomz - A mold made of the kit you have and/or like Bob Hanvey's car could be profitable. The only other company that sell anything that "looks" like your car is showcars bodyparts up in Canada a company notorious and infamous for selling a bad product and having terrible customer service.The only body-kit that look just as good is the one that was on Bob Sharps IMSA 240z back in the early 70's.

Wow that is suprising to hear about my car. I knew it was rare but never knew it was that rare. In all reality I have no idea on how took duplicate the fenders on the car, I have only recently started learning about bodywork so I can work on my Z. I knew I was lucky when I found this car and I was even luckier for only paying $3500.00. I don't plan on modifying the flares any just sand and primer and wait later until everything else is finished to paint. I plan on making this the ultimate street car. If anyone has any advise on what to do, I am all ears.

I really hate to rain on any parades, but these kits are NOT profitable. They are generally to large to ship economically, and because of the added cost to ship, relatively few kits get sold... In order to make it worth while, the maker must spend THOUSANDS on good, reusable molds, and have a climate controlled space to store the bolds... effectively meaning you need a large warehouse to store the molds and build parts from.

I did a bit of research on this little venture a while back when I contemplated buying out one of the larger Zcar glass makers, and it isn't cheap at all, which is why the prices of these parts can be so high!

Mike

I am sure that is why everyone stopped making them and Arizona Z won't ship, but climate control is called California and you have a pretty big market here so you might sell one or two sets. I would guess you would only recoup your mold costs but you would have spares when you crunch your own glass. That is my plan anyway with my set. Another market is autocrossers (all 2 or 3 of us Z folks since wheel width limits have been lifted in FP and E-mod and 12 inch wheels don't fit other available glass. But Mike is right, it would not be a business but rather a service for other Hybrid members. Keep your day job.

el240z i have sent you a PM.

Guest CheepA$$Racing

I have a body kit that looks pretty close to these. I have no idea who manufactured it. I snagged a whole parts car for $600 a few years ago, just to get the fenders. I did not get a G-nose with it though, so I will have to make my own front spoiler. Any idea who made this kit? The fit was pretty crappy, but with a little abuse I managed to get them into place.

It would look much better all one color, but gofaster parts are still ahead of paintjob in the racing budget!

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=07KK0006000016&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=07KK0007010059&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

Tire compounds in the 70's were no where near as grippy as they are today. It would be interesting to see how skinny a modern day tire would be to equal those 14 inch wide 70's tires.

Cheapa$$racing, Where did you find some that had not been painted? The front set I got from a 70's racer are poor fit too. The street version ones I have are a superb fit with fender backing like a stock front fender.

So when are you going to fill all the extra acreage under those fenders?