HybridZ

454 gen 6

hello, sorry this is not too much z related.

actually to be honest i wouldn't own an other z unless it was a 70-78 hybriz.

just gittin tired of'em

any way, i'm in the process of swaping out my 350 engine in my 87 3/4 pick up. and puttin in a gen 6 454 vortec.

would any one happin to know if any of the pully's or brackets are the same from a small block to a big block?

would any one happin to know if any of the pully's or brackets are the same from a small block to a big block?

Nope, they are different. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There are only five common things that swap between SBC and BBC.

#1: Oil Filter

#2: Starter

#3: Cam Lifters

#4: Distributor

#5: Thermostat

thats about what i thought,

i bought a complete set off ebay a few days ago becasue i didn't seem to think they was.

just an other quick question did they make a tall bock 454?

i already checked my distributor is the same legth from my 350 to 454.

but i was woundering in the oler years if there was a tall block 454 made?

and also on your list what about motor mounts?

thats about what i thought' date='

i bought a complete set off ebay a few days ago becasue i didn't seem to think they was.

just an other quick question did they make a tall bock 454?

i already checked my distributor is the same legth from my 350 to 454.

but i was woundering in the oler years if there was a tall block 454 made?

and also on your list what about motor mounts?[/quote']

In short, no. The only factory tall deck BBC's came in 366 and 427 cid sizes.

Tall deck blocks have a deck height of 10.200" and a standard deck BBc's have a deck height of 9.800".

However, since 427 and 454 share the same bore size, different strokes: 427 has a 3.76" stroke, 454/502 have 4.00 stroke.

Bearing that in mind, it wouldn't be hard to make a 454 tall deck using a 427 tall deck block, 6.535" long rods (0.400" longer), and standard 454 pistons.

Believe it or not, but even tall deck BBC's use the same distributor as standard deck BBC/SBC's. What they did is had the factory intake machined/or cast so that the dist could sit lower in the motor. This elimitated the need for a special length dist from the factory.

There are several companies that make tall deck intakes and they too are machined to accept a stand length dist. Weiand's #7528 TEAM G was one of them, I have a brand new one your interested, never used. $150+ shipping.

It will save you from having to buy an adjustable length dist and from having to buy manifold spacers which are $100 a pair, all by themselves.

Here's what they look like:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/AMS/AMSM/7528.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36474&item=7952942100&rd=1

Just let me know.

Also, since you're interested in a Gen VI BBC, keep in mind the differences between the Mark IV (1965-1991) big block and the Gen VI; for example, the flywheel bolt pattern is different. If you do go with a Gen VI, consider the 502 instead of the 454.

sorry but i already bought a edelbrock rpm preformer intake off ebay.

i really only needed the preformer but at the time all i could fine was the RPM

so i went wit it

No biggie, just thought I'd ask. Another member wants it anyway.

Plan on buying an adjustable collar distributor ($200+) and pair of manifold spacers ($100) if you are still going to use a tall deck block with any intake not designed for use with a tall deck.

I just started a thread about my current big block swap into my former sbc powered 280z.

Here's the link if you are interested:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98860

well i would say you have a good start.

i was just thinking my self, i have a 4.3 vortec in the garage that i converted to a 4bbl set up.

it's been sittin on the stand for about a year or so now.

i wasn't sure what to do with it.

and my 86 300zx is way under powered.

the only proformance mods i have is a 240sx tb, ecetric fans, 2" or maybe 2-1/4 i can't remember stainless exhaust and the k&n filter

i did not do much becasue i was not sure if i wanted to keep what was in it or do somthing else.

i love the car to death. i have had it for about 6 years.

i have way to much money than any non-turbo z31 should have in it.

i have a list longer than my are of parts i have put in.

i have seen a v8 in a 300zx and i didn't like how it fit!

it was awful!

so i was thinking of making my own headers upside down to conserve on space and put a cowl or somthing on the hood. for the twin garret t-3 turbo's i have been sitting on.

just seems like an esier conversion than a v8 due to space issues with headers or manifolds.

i do have a turbo 300zx engine thats all been redone besides being bored out. it just was not nessary. but i want some power just a bit and a bit cheeper would be nice too ;)

hey, one last question whats the starts on my post mean i think tere my be a check mark there. is that good or bad?

thought this was just a bit ironic

bbz right after i posted that last message last nigt.

my cousing called me up he with some proformance parts he want me to sell for him on ebay. i'm gonna post them up in the for sale section here too.

one of the items was a weiand team g intake.

just thought that was a bit too ironic maybe some one's send me a message?

i have never even seen one befor besides in on ebay or in the parts books.

• 2 years later...