HybridZ

Thinking about selling my car

Guest iskone

I've been wondering if I sold my 240 and started form scratch if I'd be better off.

I'd like a Z just like the one I have now only with a small block, nicer/wider wheels, different color paint job and possible YZ body. I've gone as high in my budget as I can that's why I don't just use the car I got now. Also my car looks very clean and I don't want to change it's look other than the wheels.

If I do deciede to sell it I'm going to get it dyno'd for a HP number and to fine tune the carbs. I think I can only get 2-3 out of the 4 things I'd like to change.

I paid about $6000 for my car and so far have spent another $2000. I think the car is worth $10,000 at least if not more, I might have it appraised. I also have at least $5000 in recipts.

Here are some of the cars specs, let me know if you think $10,000 is too much. There is also an all new interior and a custom sound system, very nice.

Engine

-line bored 280 block

-decked

-bored .040 over

-smoothed intererior

-polished crank

-custom forged Ross Racing pistons

-11.5:1 compression (I run on the street w/ 92)

-longer rods from a 240z, polished, bronze brushed

Head

-B.C. Gerolamy Racing cylinder head E88

-stainless steel oversize intake and exhaust

-Chrome Moley valve seats

-bronze valve guides

-ported intake and exhaust ports

-polished chambers

Intake

-Ported and polished Cannon manifold

-Triple Weber 40 DCOE2

-heat shield

Ignition

-Crane Cam ignition box xr3000

-MSD blaster coil

-Custom crank trigger ignition

-Dist has been relocated 81 Toyota Supra cap and rotor

-Msd 8mm wires

Exhaust (Dual)

-Nissan competition aluminized header 1 5/8" primiries

-custom dual 2 1/4" exhaust

-2 1/2" Super Trapp mufflers

Supension

-Full coil overs on all 4

-Cmaber plates

-larger sway bars

-Poly

-Lowered xmember is 3" from ground, rockers are 4"

Body

-Air damn

-Decent 10' white paint job

-Recently spent almost $1000 on detail job

Wheels

-Centerline Auto Drags

-BFG Euro 195/50/15's

Isk

10k might be a bit optimistic, but if you find the right sucker...I mean buyer :wink::-D , it might be possible.

Why not try to sell the drivetrain and use that car for the V8? Since the body and paint is done, most of the real hard work is done, and you know what you have. If you buy something new, you will have to spend time checking for rust etc....

Tim

Think so? Ehh, I'll put it for sale (maybe) and see how it goes. The car really has to be seen and driven to be appreciated. The pictures I have of the car suck. My friend is a photographer so I think I'll ask him to take some good ones.

I might have to live without the small block for a while, it is already very fast so I'll live. I do know where I can buy a very solid 260Z for a grand but it's gold :neutral: Then I could use the YZ's I'm getting spend a ton more money and have 2 sweet Z's :twisted:

Isk

As they say it is only worth what someone will pay for it. Ony real way to tell that is to actually sell it or to see what cars like it have gone for recently. The only 240's I see asking that price are either all originals or something with an exotic or high tech engine. Cars simply do not sell for anywhere near the price of their upgrades.

For $10K with that engine I would expect problem free mechanicals and near show quality finish. But that is just me.

I have to agree with Tim! $10K is pretty optimistic...unless there is ZERO rust, a near perfect paint job (inside and out), all mechanical systems are in great working order as well as the Z being an overall eye pleasing car. Also, you mentioned the car cost you $6K and you have since put another $2K into it. Trying to make a $2K profit on your car is admiralible, but not realistic. If you can get $7K for your car, you would be doing well IMO! I think I'd be tickled pink if I could get $10K for my Z...and I have nearly twice that invested (with receipts). The general sales history on old Z cars do not lend themselfs to making a profit, even when alot of $ and TLC have been expended. Generally, it is the buyer who makes out. I do not mean to be rude, but if you think you are going to get out of it what you've put into it.....your dreaming. Unless of course, as Tim put it....if you find the right sucker!

I agree, 10k is a little stiff, and no one ever gets what they put into a car. I bought a jeep 4k once and spent another 4k lifting it, 35 inch tires, the works. I could only sell it for 4500. That is why I am not selling my Z becuase i have WAY to much money in it and will never get anything back.

Yeah, well I did say "WORTH 10k" I too think it would be hard to get that much for the car at best I might get what I've spent and I only say that becuase like someone said earlier the buyer gets the good deal, like when I bought the car.

My car is near perfect as far as paint, body, rust, engine, etc....

I'm well aware you never get what you put into a car back out, I use to fix up cars I bought at auction there is a reson I don't anymore.

I think I'm just gonna hang on to the car wait till I'm done remodeling my house and then build a 2nd Z, a f*cking killer one :twisted:

So maybe I was dreaming a little bit. It does just take one though.

Isk