HybridZ

All I want is a decent ride

My 71 Z has the original springs and struts. It rides like it too. Add the severe lack of cushion in the seats and it makes for a rough ride. I plan on replacing the foam insets with those found on Ebay (Datsun Restore or Intense). Before we go any further, has anyone used these inserts? Was the difference worth the money? Okay, back to the suspension. I don't race on the track or the street. I don't need OR want a bone jarring ride and slot car handling. I do want to lower the car though. I'm leaning towards the Eibach Pro-kit for the progessive springs. I'd thought about coil-overs but Don at Ground Control said he would recommend the lowering springs they offer(?). No other info has been provided as to rates, spring type, etc. I'll also be replacing struts. The Tokico HP's sound good but the Illumina's set to 1 might be better(?). Eibach is marketing a pro-damper strut for their springs but I've heard nothing of them. Bottom line is to lower the car, give as comfortable a ride as possible and do it only once. I need suggestions to acheive this or a close compromise based on real world experience?

MSA sells European spec springs that fit the stock vehicle. I used those for several years on my daily driver 240. Also had all urethane suspension components and MSA front and rear sway bars. The Euro spec springs were suppose to lower the car about an inch, but the old springs were so worn I regained about a half inch of ride height. I still have the stock rubber isolators at the top of each strut. MSA claims the Euro springs are something link 10 to 15% stiffer than the US supplied springs.

Overall a very nice street set. Car runs flat in the turns, handles most speed bumps and is comfortable on rough surfaces or long drives. The MSA sway bars are probably a little too big for the Euro springs. At least that is what I remember from my autocrossing days.

I think Phantom is running a very similar set up (or was) with his LS1 equiped car.

The big advantage of coil overs is suppose to the the wider range of spring rates available for them. But in your case you won't need that so they sound like they would be a waste of money.

IMO the Euro springs are the way to go for you. 10-15% is not a large bump in stiffness. You should be ably to go with a softer shock too like the KYB's. A stiff shock will make a more jarring ride than stiff springs. I have freinds that use Gabreil and NAPA shocks and love them, they are looking for the same type of ride you are. With the lowering springs and softer shock make sure you keep the bump stops, new ones would be prefered.