HybridZ

Title woes - or - DMV sucks balls

Guest gtmattz

Guest gtmattz

So... Don't you love it when you buy a used car and the title is all foogered up? Seems that the 280z I bought for my V8 swap has some fun title problems, the biggest being that the person who I bought it from was NOT the person signed off on the title, causing the DMV to require me to get a notarised bill of sale from the person who signed the back of the title.. not too bad, except that the person seems to have vanished from existence, was supposedly the sister of the person I bought the car from, but the nice old lady who sold me the car seems to have dissapeared as well..... So now im stuck with a 75 280z with a very nice straight body and good strong engine that I cannot register... so now the search begins for a straight body with CLEAR title... WHEEEEEEEeeeee :( So now I am buying all the local newspapers searching for a clean body. Anyone have a line on a CHEAP 75-78 280z in the western US? I have 3 parts cars and no driver LOL... anyway, back to your scheduled programming..

ps.. I really like the new layout, been quite a while since I checked out the forums, job search been keeping me away from my passion, now I am newly employed and am raring to get started on my conV8erZion :D

Guest tony78_280z

Forge it! Who is gonna check? Those people at the DMV don't care as long as the papper trail is there. Just make the signatures look similar. Type up a bill of sales on your computer and take a few hours to practice the script.

I got an inlaw who is a used car salesman. He forges stuff all the time. He once sold me a 280zxt that he couldn't get a title for.

Please note: Neither Tony78_280z, nor HybridZ is liable for any legal action taken against individuals forging documents.

Or (also not legal, but not really catchable...) buy another car, as rough and cheep as you can find, and swap vin tags into/onto your clean straight 280z.. If need be, cut the section out of the door jam and weld it into your good shell, that way you needn't even touch the rivets... Just a thought...

*Datsunlover and/or HybridZ not responsible or liable for legal action taken against individuals forging documents/vin tags*

Look for a Title Service company in your area. I have used a company called Lone Star Title in Texas a couple of times and it was $75-80. These types of businesses will not help you break the law but they do know ALL of the possible loopholes. If your purchase is not a stolen car you should be able to work something out legally.

One note- revinning a car is a FELONY. If one is going to commit a felony make sure the benifits outweigh the possible punishments. Most of the time you will get away with it but is it worth the fine/jail term? Even if it cost 200 having a title service help you correct your problem legally is cheap insurance.

I had never thought about talking with an insurance company for help solving this kind of prob but it seems a good idea too.

Hope this help

Rick

Or (also not legal' date=' but not really catchable...) buy another car, as rough and cheep as you can find, and swap vin tags into/onto your clean straight 280z.. If need be, cut the section out of the door jam and weld it into your good shell, that way you needn't even touch the rivets... Just a thought...

*Datsunlover and/or HybridZ not responsible or liable for legal action taken against individuals forging documents/vin tags*[/quote']

The door jam tag just has regular 1/8" pop rivits, as does the dashboard. It's very, almost too easy to swap these out. My only worry would be the vin stamped into the firewall, but most non-z people don't know to look there.

The door jam tag just has regular 1/8" pop rivits, as does the dashboard. It's very, almost too easy to swap these out. My only worry would be the vin stamped into the firewall, but most non-z people don't know to look there.

Yeah, I didn't know about that when I bought my Z with flipped VINs. Now I'm several months into the process of getting the title straightened out. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I am not interested in keeping a car that was stolen from someone else.

This is a huge PITA. I have no real evidence that the previous owner knew about the flipped tags, but if I did... :mad:

There are easier ways to get a legit title... Don't flip VINs

I once bought a motorcycle that unknown to me had the VIN ground off the engine. Obviously stolen. But when the state of Washington acid etched the motor's serial number, it was not on record as being stolen. They issued me a new title.

If the VIN is hot than forging the signatures sounds like a bad idea.

Don't give up on this. In CA they issue a form for the owner on the title to sign. If you cannot located him/her after a reasonable search, they'll still issue title. This happened to me, but for some crazy reason, I tracked the guy down through public records. I could have very easily signed the form myself---don't laugh, the lady at DMV looked at me with astonishment when I told her I actually located the guy. She was expecting me to have signed the form myself. She was ready to give me another form to fill out if I didn't have the sig ready. You have to hand it to DMV...

Davy