HybridZ

bought an 82 L28et!!

big-phil

I just bought off e-bay an 82 L28et with 85,000 miles on the motor, I'm going this next weekend to hear it run, then pull it from the car, along with the 5 speed tranny. I've read the drax240z artical on putting the turbo motor in the z car, and the only thing I'm wondering is do I absolutly need the turbo fuel pump, or will mine from my 280z work fine? Included in the sale is the motor, wire harness, computer, AFM, everything needed to put it in my 280z and turn the key, but do I need to make sure I get the fuel pump? Also what other little things do I want to make sure I get from the car before I leave? Its about a seven hour drive away!

Not sure about this but the 83 Turbo ZX I bought on Ebay had a fuel pump that looked EXACTLY like the one I pulled from my 76 280Z. I would swear they were identical, visually. It could have been the wrong pump in the ZXT though. If you plan on upping the boost, get a Walbro or high volume and pressure pump instead. Do a compression check on the motor before you pull it you want to see about 135-145 psi cranking with the starter. Get the harnesses also and grab a few relays, sockets, and pull the male AND female plugs for the harness connectors. In other words, snip them out of the car. Some will come in handy later when wiring up the Z. It makes for a neat wiring job.

Good luck and welcome.

Guest bastaad525

Agreed... you really should just skip the hassle of pulling the stock pump... if you're going to be doing any performance upgrading at all, you're better off to spend $100-200 on a better pump right off the bat. MSD makes a pump that works very well, which I'm using and a few other guys are using on here, been working great for me, and is cheaper than the Walbro (about $120 cost). However, I do believe the specs on the Walbro are a BIT better, if you're planning on really building for big power, you might want to save the extra few bucks.

The stock pump will at least take you to 200rwhp (10psi on stock everything with no intercooler... I ran this on the stock pump with no problem). Others have claimed running more power on said pump. I think it's just cheap insurance to upgrade either way.

Guest bastaad525

with the pump upgrade out of the way, and assuming all the other components of your stock EFI are in good working order, you can safely run about 9-10psi without an intercooler, and expect around 200hp at the rear wheels or about 230 flywheel HP. Again, you COULD achieve this with even the stock pump, because at this point, the pump is not the limiting factor. The limiting factors here are a) heat, anything above 10psi on the stock T3 is really getting the air hot and w/o an intercooler starts to become more risk than most people are willing to take, and B) the stock fuel injectors and ECU fuel map, which are pretty much right at their limit at ten psi of boost. Though many people have run as high as 12psi on bone stock EFI components with an intercooler, several of us have dynoed such a setup and found that it does run too lean to be considered safe. Even at 10psi the fuel curve goes dangerously lean above 5000-5500 rpm.

There is a whole range of debate as to which transmissions are the 'better' ones to have. A search will turn up lots of info for you here. To just give you a quick answer though, the common oppinion is that the turbo 5 speed (which is usually or always the Borg Warner 5 speed) is most likely stronger than the Nissan, however a lot of folks do not like the BW's shifting action, claiming it is too balky and the throws are too long, and a lot of people also dont like the spacing of the gear ratios. The Nissan five speeds cover a wide range, the last of them though (maybe '82-83) were very nice, with the gears very evenly spaced out. While many claim the BW's are stronger, that's not to say the Nissan's are 'weak' by any means... they will live with a good amount of power as well. I run an '82 five speed and love it. When I had a built up non turbo L28, I had a '77 five speed out of a 280z and it SUCKED, the spacing of the ratios was HORRIBLE.

Oh and you asked about the combo just bolting in, NO the BW five speed does not bolt in there is some customization that has to be done to the tranny mount to get it to work... with a Nissan tranny though the whole thing bolts right up.