HybridZ

Hypothetical Differential Question

Workinprogress

Guest c21brian

I auto-x and have gone through a couple of R180 rearends with my Ford powered Z. The Ford 8.8 looks like the best choice with gear choices and posi parts availability and way inexpensive compared to posi parts for R180 or R200. Any one heard of anyone putting a 4 link 8.8 ford in a Z?

Brian

Here's a good thread on the 8.8 with 4 link.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98734&highlight=8.8

I think with auto-x you should stick with the irs and not go with the 4 link, it was my understanding that 4 links are best for drags but were the second or third choice for cornering handling due to binding and other problems with the geometry.

It's 10-bolt' date=' not 10".

You aren't making any sense, so please clarify your point.

As I stated in the original post, it was in my '79 Camaro (I accidentally typed '70). It had an open exhaust and a 2000rpm stall converter, but was stock otherwise, hence the "mild" part. It ran low 10's at near 70mph. That's equivalent to a mid/high 15 second 1/4 mile at around 87mph. That's about right for a 3500lb car with a <200hp engine.

I broke the rear end, AND the TH350 tranny. I ran bracket races every Sunday for 1.5 years. I suppose 400+ 1/8 mile passes along with probably MORE full throttle street launches will do that.

So what part of that made you fall over?[/quote'] sorry I just thought the term "Mild" in reference to a 10 second 1/8th trip might be overstated, 200hp would be stock with heavy emissions and not "Mild" right? excuse me if my expectation of power is too high for a "Mild" 305, you say "Mild" and I think, alum intake, 4 barrel carb, headers and maybe a very mild cam, and I would think it's be faster than that but I am a datsun guy so maybe that's all a 305 ca make without heavy mods?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

A stock 305 will put down 150-175whp depending on the specifics. One with an intake, headers, and typical mild cam will put down 200-225hp.

I personally witnessed a guy roll onto the dyno claiming 400hp from his built 305, with a radical solid lifter cam, full length headers, Victor Jr. intake, etc etc etc, and it put down 248whp. It was in a 3rd gen Camaro(82-92), and it ran low 14's in the upper 90mph range.

Radical post switch?

My buddy has a '74 'vette convertible. Weighs 3800# or so and has 3.08 rear gear. With an 86 IROC TPI 305 and a Summit flat tappet TPI cam it ran 13.97 in Houston, taking advantage of the zero feet about sea level. It was controlled with an Accel DFI and had 1 3/4" Blackjack AK5000 'vette headers on it, but except for the cam the motor was stock with 8000 miles on it. Another advantage was the TCI 11" lockup converter. He did this swap in 87, it was the first TPI conversion I had seen first hand. Completely changed my attitude about 305's and performance. To top it off, it averaged 28 mpg on the road. (Not that I would ever build one!). I still think the '92 230 hp 305 and T5 is an ideal Hybrid swap if you can find a low mileage donor.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

The 230hp LB9 305 TPI will put down 210-220whp stock. They're the best of the 305's thanks to 9.3:1 CR and good heads.

A 305 TPI will make a Z a fun car to drive, but why use a 305 when you can use a 350?

I'm just not a fan of 305's. I keep a few of them around to install in cars that I'm selling, but I'll never use another one in any of my personal vehicles.