HybridZ

Seat/Harness for 2+2

Guest Navy280Z

Guest Navy280Z

I've got a '78 2+2 and am looking to put in some non-reclining race seats into her. This is just spiffy except that I want to put a harness in as well, and I don't know what the mounting issues are specifically with the 2+2. I've done a search and saw that my main two options are to bolt up directly to the rear strut towers or put in a bar. There was also some discussion as to seat belt angle and downward compression of the spine in case of an accident.

So how does this apply to the 2+2? Does anyone have an opinion on if the angle is going to be too steep if I go straight back to the strut tower, or even if I'm going to have enough belt to do so? Thanks for your time.

What they do in alot of Porsche 911 Targas, Is there is a bar they bolt in (bolts into where the seat belt mounts are) runs across to the other seat belt. That keeps your harness shoulder level so you don't get hurt in an accident. However I'm not sure I would trust my spine with just two bolts on that bar. Maybe the porsches have a stronger belt mount? I have a 2+2 as well and I'm starting to think the easiest safest thing is to just get a complete cage put in pretty much.

Until then... stock belts and seats work for me.

-Ed

Regarding your question about harnesses....have you checked out the various harness manufactures and their websites (not the retailer's websites)? Most will have all the answers you are looking for. Basically, the best angle for your shoulder harness is 90 degrees to the seat back's vertical angle...typically straight back or parrallel to the ground. If, for example, you mounted the shoulder harness to the floor board, directly behind the seat, this would be the worst case senerio, causing unwanted down force on your shoulders under braking and especially during a front impact. Search and you shall find!!!

Guest Navy280Z

I was wondering the same thing myself. Also, what's the deal with the removable cross-bar? But I must say, the cage looks like it has promise, especially at that price.

Guest Navy280Z

Yeah, I am going with non-reclining. I still don't know what I'm going to do about the backseat... I'm in a situation right now that dictates I have a backseat for two little critters to ride in...so I'm wondering how that's going to work with the cage... any thoughts?

.. good thoughts... I remember growing up riding in the back of the Z I own now. It used to be my fathers. You could go with the roll bar... pad it of course, just keep the OEM passenger seat? still maintain axcess?

I want my bar to follow with close tolerances to the car. I've been around alot of race preped 911's and I've become spoiled with their roll cage installations. They make the ones for the z look like hideous ugly monsters.

~Ed