HybridZ

Which V8 is best?

Guest mware

I am new at the whole Z car thing, but am looking foward to getting in to the Z world. I just bought a 1977 and a 1976 280Z. I am looking to make a V8 conversion to the 77' car and I have been searching to find which V8 is best, but there are sooo many choices and soooo many people are willing to give "their expert opion". I would prefer to use a Ford motor... so just tell me what to do...

Welcome to HybridZ!

There are plenty of people here that will have an opinion about what V8 is best. The real answer is, it depends on what you want to do with your car. Street, strip, autocross, etc.

I think your just going to have to do some searching and wade through all the posts, and then make your own determination based on your needs.

Good Luck!;)

If you are looking to put some serious HP to the pavement, then it doesn't matter which engine you use. The cost is about the same.

If you want a nice cruzer with a good sound, the swap can be made on the cheap. BUT, you have to know which combo to use to do it. A stick will cost more than an auto to set up. An auto is less harsh on the rest of the driveline. First swap you want to make is getting rid of that R180 rear and put in an R200. I lucked out. I had a parts car given to me. It was a 75 280 auto. They come with R200's in them. I also used most of the interior out of it for my 240.

Tip: Seats. The 240 has more room for taller seats than the 280 does because of the seat rails/frame stiffeners. I got a real nice pair of Honda Preylude seats cheap because a friend couldn't use them in his 280. They fit fine in my 240. I stand 6'3". I can still wear a hat while in it!

I've spent a total of 16 dollars to get my 5.0 and C4 auto mounted in my 72. I'm sure you can build the mounts for a Chevy for that. Where the cost comes in, is for all the goodies you want, or have to have.

Junk yards, ebay, swap meets, local paper, buddies, club members are all good resorces for doing a little horse trading for what you need.

Searching the archives here is very educational. I learn something every time I look. Many times I will get some hairbrained idea and then hit the archives. I'm willing to bet there has not been any subject that hasn't been hashed over a zillion times. We are the fortunate ones, as others have done the leg work for us and are willing to share.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to Hybrid Z myself as of yesterday, I have been a member at classic Z for some time but get the "one two" everytime i mention being a younger person looking for speed and HP!! You guys are my type! I was just wondering the same question, what engine would be the best for me? I have a 72 240z, i want to put in a chevy V8, I am looking for power off the line, so when i pull up to the little rice grinders i can eat them, and also I love top end speed the more the better! I know people with a 305, 327, 350, and a 400 i could buy, what do you guys think i should go with. And what transmition? I was thinking at least a 5 speed, but you tell me what combos work best. Thanks guys!

Any v8 that does need to be Fixed Or Repaired Daily. :twisted: If I was going to put a v8 in a z i'd either go with the more common lt-1 motor for good power with good technical support, or the less traveled path the ford 302 with a procharger for a more uniqueness. Good luck but don't forget to add $2k and 3 months to any planning you do. :rolleyes:

Best combo for the price as far as fuel injection is is either 350 tpi [chevy] or 5.0 efi [ford] out of the 2 the 5.0 kicks the crap out of the tpi. TPI was a boat anchor. But a carbed 350 is hard to beat for price and ease of jtr install. Of course until my mounts are made :) lol To me though 50 lbs lighter distributor in frontadvanced efi system with great runner design you`d think i was talking about the great and expensive lt-1 [1250-2500] but no im talking about a 250-750$ 5.0. You see since the 5.0 kicked the hell out of the tpi chevy had to awnser back so they mounted the dist in the front like the 5.0 and changed that rediculous intake and runner design and made a quality efi system like the 5.0 and packaged a nice engine that did 6000 rpm`s out of the box like the 5.0 oh yeah it cost 1000$ dollars more. Choice is yours on tranny look back a few threads I explained trannys as best as my knowledge could serve.

Chad