HybridZ

Plaining stages/240Z/LS1 project.

Guest Drive-ability

Guest Drive-ability

Hello,

I am a Madza 3rd gen owner and am going to move back to the piston world. I don't have the 240Z yet and am looking for a rust free car. I am not new to stock LS1 engines as I spent 20 years doing General Motors tune-up and drive-ability work. It is a beautyfull engine package. I don't want to rush things and wish to do it correctly. I likely will sell the Mazda but too soon to tell. I really don't like the lack of torque and I am tired of shifting. What can I say? My Rx7 is a 93 with a street port pampered engine and twins (9,000 miles). I have never boosted over 7psi just to concearned about keeping the engine together. The car has 60K orginal miles. John

Guest Drive-ability

The 240Z and the Rx7 both have strong points and I have spent a lot of time on the subject. In California we have the full blown emission testing which the Rx7 would need to conform to. Being a drive-ability tech setting up the emission isn't an issue just extra consideration. The 240Z at this point takes a pass on the emission testing. The sale of the rx7 would help fill the war chest. I have always wanted to convert a 240Z, so that’s going to be my choice for now. I hope you guys don't mind from time to time picking your minds along the way.

I just can't wait to here the LS1 purr. Rotaries are magnificent engines but I am just a G.M. guy and proud of it. Shoot my Rx7 is lucky to give me 12 mpg, rotaries love fuel and not to mention the sound of one leaning out to a tune of 4K a pop. I hope I can get the 240Z to handle close to the Rx7 any opinions on that subject? John

PS, There is some nice work being done on the cars I have see so far on this forum!!!!

Guest Drive-ability

"Jsap"

I understand how money can be an issue. If you are thinking about a Mazda 3rd generation 93 to95 Rx7 be warned this model can be the most costly car you will ever own to repair. I have 20 plus years of high level auto experience and found it very costly to own even as I did all the repairs myself. Unlike a piston engine the rotary turbo engine isn’t durable at all and in the blink of an eye your engine can go. The parts are priced insanely high because of the small market, so just some things to consider before acting. I need a 73 or older car to avoid emission testing. John

Thanks for the info, Drive. I know 3rd gen RX7 is PITA to own, but they are just so pretty. I never driven one before, but I test drove the RX8, and I really like the way rotary engine sounds and rev. I took the RX8 all the way to 9K rpm, and the engine sounds exactly same as when it was reving at 3K rpm. Too bad RX8 does not have enought power. I am still not sure what I am going to do...keep the Z or get something else. I guess I'll spend time and money pimping my SC300 for now.