HybridZ

I need Cross threading advice

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

In the process of installing a new 50cc accelerator pump I cross threaded one of the machine screws. Another turn or two and it would have been snug. I was hoping since it was most of the way, and the other three are all snug that It would be alright. Of course, since I'm posting this it is not. It leaks. So I need to figure some way to get this screw out. It turns and turns and turns, but wont go either direction.

Short of replacing the bowl or vice grips and a hammer, any advice?

If it turns CCW and does not back out, and you cannot get vise grips on it to apply some outward pressure, try a small flat head and gently pry the head up as you turn it CCW. Hopefully that will allow a good thread to catch. Then you can try the correct size tap to clean up the threads. If that tap does not do the trick you will need to drill the threads out and re-tap larger, obviously using a new larger screw.

Good Luck!

Rufus

Guest tony78_280z

Crap

If that tap does not do the trick you will need to drill the threads out and re-tap larger, obviously using a new larger screw.
This sounds scary. Anybody got a front bowl for a Holley 1460 (1850-3). (Just kidding I'm gonna try this first)

Thanks for the idears.

Guest tony78_280z

I went to a friends house to borrow a tap. He said, "If you can get the screw out why not just put a washer or two on it to snug it up." I stood there dumb founded for a moment and then said "Well sure, If you wanted to do it the easy way!"

So Tommarrow I remove the screw. I hope.

happened to me once. I called a carb place and they had a bunch of spares. I bought the right part for the carb in my case it was the entire top part of a rochester z28 carb since I striped the integral gas filter casting. Talk to a carb rebuilder they may have spares cheap.

Ferd

Tony,

If you cannot fix your carb, I just happen to have a Holley 1850-2 (4160) that I will not be using. I would gladly ship you the part you need. I already have the carb broke down because I was going to rebuild it before I decided to buy the Edelbrock. By the way the screwdriver method will probably work and tapping the hole afterwards is an easy thing to do. Good luck.

When I first saw this post, Need cross-threading advise, I was very curious as to the content of the post! After reading the first post I thought.....well, he certainly doesn't need any advise on cross threading, as it seems he has accomplished the task without a problem!!!

Guest tony78_280z
well, he certainly doesn't need any advise on cross threading, as it seems he has accomplished the task without a problem!!!
*Extends middle finger* I'm pretty good at f**kin sh*t up!!!

Guest tony78_280z

I haven't had the chance to mess with it. It got realy cold and rainy, and then the old woman got sick. Strepped throat, AGAIN! I keep sayin, tomarrow I'm gonna get out there and get it done. But Nooooo something keeps gettin in the way. Now I'm getting that muscle achey feeling all over so I'm comin down with something too.

As for replacing the front bowl. It is a very kind offer. I've got a 4160 aka 1850-3. (only a -1 off)It has vaccum secondaries, and the fuel feeds the rear bowl via a tube from the front bowl. The front bowl is fed with a hose clamp style connection. SO I kinda doubt the I'm not sure if the two models are compatable. And I don't have rebuild gaskets for it. But I'll keep it in mind =)

*Extends middle finger* I'm pretty good at f**kin sh*t up!!!

Tony, I was just pulling your chain for a rise out of you! By the way, if by chance you have gotten the screw out, try running a bottom tap down the hole to unbugger the threads. If by chance the threaded hole in not a blind thread (no access from the bottom of the hole) you might try screwing the screw in from the bottom up...which may straighten out the x-threading.

Guest tony78_280z
Tony, I was just pulling your chain for a rise out of you!
Ya I know. I can recognize the sarcastic smart *** comment when I see one. =)

I'm not sure the screw thread all the way up into the bowl. If it does not then I can just use some washers on the end. If it does then yes I'll need to tap it, and I may need to get the bowl from GeorgiaFlash75V8.

Guest tony78_280z

So, I reek of gasoline now. I got the carb fixed. The screw holes do not go all the way into the bowl. Using a longer screw and two washers I was able to get it up in there and it grabbed a few threads. I put the carb back on and fired it up (timing is still off and it runs like sheit. (Here for more info on that http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98970 ) I revved it up a few times and watched the 50cc pump gobs of gas into the carb. Checked the spacer/adapter under the carb and it was bone dry. Once I get the timing fixed I'll take it for a little drive and check it again. But I got faith it's fixed.

Thanks for the assistance and the offer for the bowl.

Guest tony78_280z

I got this amazing package today. Eveything but the carb main body, and a complete rebuild kit. I didn't have to worry about any gaskets!!

SO I rebuilt the front bowl (used those brass floats too) and got it reinstalled into the motor. I noticed the thread on my old bowl were not as deep keeping the screws from going in all the way and gripping good. I put it on the car and fired it up. Throttled it up a few times and checked for a leak. After fixing a few leaks (float adjustment and filler neck weren't tight enough) I can say it hasn't leaked, yet. I say yet because last time I "fixed" it, the pump didn't leak until the next time I started and ran it real good.

*Crosses fingers*

Thanks again Georgia Flash, I got all the spare holley parts, gaskets and o-rings I'll ever need. =)

Always glad to lend a helping hand to a Hybrid Brother in need. I am glad to see the package made to you in one piece and that you were able to use the parts from my old Holly carb as well as the new (but opened) rebuild kit.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance ;o)