HybridZ

autocad Z part project

260ZRED

One of my classes for M.E. this semester is autocad and we gotta do a project: design and draw a useable part of a machine or a device. Basicly they want us to practice and create something usefull and innovative. Doesn't have to be fancy, but it has to be drawn correct and look real.

Of course I want to do something for my Z! And of course build it after I draw it. Building is "not required" but haveing a completed project I can bring, along with all the drawings is AWESOME.

what do you guy's think is better?

a) a bolt on filter to the stock SU's, like the factory orange, but more streamlined and with access to fresh air.

b)a slick front grill. mounts just like oem but looks way more modern.

c)new wireing harness for L28ET--->S30. all wires colorcoded and labeled, all wires the correct length to fit perfect in a 240z 260z 280z conversion. All fresh connectors.

I'm leaning towards C right now as I have done something a little similar in my own car and the possibility of building it is very real compared to the other parts. Also, if it works well (after I try it in my own 260z) it would be a good part to sell. That way you would't have to mess with 30 year old wireing, just plug this in and go.

what do you guys think? Project is due in 1 month so I have lots of time.

thanks for your opinion.

Are you studying for ME or CE? Is this project 3D cad or just cuts? It would be better to design a sepentine belt system with the Pulleys and all of the rotating parts. MEs like things that move.

Do what will give you the level of best detail and will show your cad skills, it will determine you grade.

This is from an ME to a Future ME.

Bleh sucks that you are stuck using autocad! I agree with SHO-Z though, make something more mechanical than a wiring harness. If I was faced with that project right now I might do something like a custom valve cover, intake manifold, exhaust manifold (getting tricky in 2D), roll cage, etc.

to tell the truth if you want something that you can make, try making pullies for your car. you can make one for the crank, water pump, and alternator. then if you get the ok you can actually use the lathe to make them out of aluminum and reduce some of your rotating mass.

jesse

note: it's proubly best to make the inner part of the crank pully out of steel and make an aluminum pully that bolts to it.

Just 2D or AutoCADD Mechanical Desktop, or AutoCADD Light? 2-D linedrawing in AutoCADD is easy, but Mechanical Desktop sucks for a modler. Some people swear on it though. (you'll be doing a lot of swearing yourself with that outdated stuff). Autodesk Inventor is awsome though, well worth it.

Do whatever is easiest, I say GRILL!!!! and I want one too. I'm thinking a simple metal bar with some sort of emblem in the middle. Wire harnessing is too much work, especially drawing it by hand :shock: . DANG.