HybridZ

Angle or Straight plugs

I am about to buy some aluminum Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads #60899. These heads have 64cc combustion chambers and I will be using flat top pistons. This will be on a Chevy 350.

I have two questions on this matter.

#1 Do you guys recommend angle plugs or straight plugs on these heads?

#2 Do any of you have these heads and if so which configuration do you have and why?

I have a set of cheapo headers that I bought off of Ebay some time ago. I bolted them up to the stock heads which have straight plugs and they seem to leave just enough room to change the spark plugs once installed.

My biggest fear is having to remove the headers just to change the plugs.

Angle plug heads were originally thought to reduce the possibility of detonation and allow a little more timing, compression, or both. There was no power gain unless timing or comp was increased. With more timing or comp, angle plug heads seemed to be worth 10-20 hp. Some say with modern combustion chamber design that advantage is lessened, I don't know.

Most pro engine builders today use them, and if the headers fit OK, changing plugs in a lot easier on AP heads IMO. The only way to know if yours will work is research them or physically try them on a head. Different manufacturers use different amounts of angle, but the difference is not huge.

John

Zthis,

Can you tell me more about the Hedman weldups you used to make you manifolds? I have been looking around for either header flanges or a full kit. What was the quality like? Flange thickness and fit? Round or square port? Roughly how long did it take you to build the headers?

Thanks,

Joshua

Zthis' date='

Can you tell me more about the Hedman weldups you used to make you manifolds? I have been looking around for either header flanges or a full kit. What was the quality like? Flange thickness and fit? Round or square port? Roughly how long did it take you to build the headers?

Thanks,

Joshua[/quote']

Kit is Heddman Weldup Part # HED-65600 1 3/4 prim. 3 inch collectors.

Pipe Quality is excellent, flange is 3/8, Had to be trimmed around cylinder 2 to get spark plug out easy. Square port. primary pipe from cylinder 1 and 2

goes along the top and then down between 6 & 8 and 5 & 7 similar to some dodges for clearance. It did take along time because i started with no plan it was all trial and error (well more like tack and cut). If i was to make another

set i'd make them so the primaries are more equal lenght 1 on each side is alittle shorter. If your really interested i can take some picturesmeasurements to send you i have the headers off the car for a motor rebuild. Oh ya you have to lift the motor to get them on or off.

Zthis,

Thanks for the great information! This sounds like the exact kit I will need also. It won't be a problem for me to lift the engine to put them on and off, but I do understand the issue.

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to see pictures of your setup.

Thanks Again,

Joshua

10015935mh.th.jpg

10015944ld.th.jpg

if i was to make another set i'd buy a couple more 1 3/4 J bends and curve

the 7 and 8 pipes forward to add length to make all primary lenghts more equal. For reference i'm running a 350 Transmission.