HybridZ

tranny swap-clutch fork stuck: help

73240z

I am swapping my 4 speed tranny with a 5 speed into my 73 240z. The 5 speed is out of a 83 280. After putting in 5 speed tranny, I got it all mounted and went to put on the slave cylinder. I pulled on the clutch fork and it does not move backwards. It is as if the clutch bearing is stuck. The fork will not go anywhere. I took the tranny back off and we looked at it then tried it again. same thing. I don't know what is wrong. Am I supposed to do something different other than just aligning the thing up?

I need some good advice! It's probably just something easy that I can't figure out.

Thanks,

John

Are you sure the clutch bearing is properly snaped on to the fork? (and it's the right way around) And as for movement, does it move with the slave cyl on it? (IE; did you hook up the slave and try using the clutch pedel to move it?) Pushing by hand, it wouldn't suprise me if it didnt move much.. there's a LOT of force in there from the presure plate pushing on it...

I see 3 possibilities:

1. Is it a manual adjusting slave or a self adjuster? You might have to back it off and give it some slack if it is a manual threaded adjuster.

2. Did you keep the throwout bearing collar (the cast iron piece that the bearing installs on) that came out of the 240, and install it with a ZX transmission? That would be a problem, because the ZX pressure plate is taller so the correct ZX collar would be shorter.

EDIT--This crap is kinda confusing and maybe someone will have a link with pics to help, but bottom line is you should use a 280 clutch and pressure plate and collar with your new transmission.

3. For a self adjuster I'd check to make sure that you got the bearing on the fork right as DL suggests.