HybridZ

RB26DETT or VG30DETT

tfreer85

I wish it would go back farther. The engine/trans is so long that I had to mount it there to make the shifter end up where I wanted it. I could have modified the shifter extension on the back of the tranny, but didn't think about it until after I had welded in the mounts. If I had been thinking about it, I would have removed all the shifter stuff, pushed the engine to the firewall, and tried to find a way to put a normal shifter in it that comes out of the top plate on the tranny. Oh well. It does keep me from having to make a tight radius turn out of the turbos for my downpipe. I'm looking at mounting a 350Z 6 speed to the VG30 now.

i'd becareful with those new 6-speeds... i've heard of many 350Z guys having shifting issues with them... there have been so many of them replaced that you can find them for next to nothing but i'm not sure if i'd want to mess with it. also, i'd check the gear ratios of it and see how well it matches the VG... it might be a bit off due to the different power bands of a turbo vs. n/a but i'm not sure as i've not looked into them all that much.

Oh, by the way, I used the 28 year old stock 280Z trans mount to mount the 300ZX 5 speed to. It bolts right up (and that's the other reason why the engine is so far forward, although it's still behind the strut tower).

As for the shifting issues: I have a 350Z and can't shift the thing when it's cold out. The synchros for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th aren't worth anything when the transmission is cold. I got my transmission for dirt cheap, so I won't mind trying to weld the 300ZX bell housing flange to the 350Z trans. I have two spare 300ZX TT 5 speeds if it doesn't work out.

If the engine is behind the strut towers thats OK, no point in obsessing about having it bang against the firewall for several practical reasons. Heat soak is one, weight distribution with a stock S30 tends towards being rear end heavy anyway. A little more in the front than the rear (unloaded) is a good thing IMHO.