HybridZ

T56 clutch master question.

Question for all you T56 owners, did you install a GM master to work with the clutch or did you get the nissan master to work for you?

I'm having a shifting problem with my T56 in my Z32-LS1, and I'm thinking that its the nissan master not making the pressure the internal slave needs.

Thanks for any info...

Dan

I'm using a Wilwood 7/8" master and it is plenty enough. Do you know about the roll pin connector mod on the slave side of the line? GM uses a roll pin connector on both ends, I don't know how you made your clutch line, but if you still have the stock roll pin connector on the slave side, you can get more flow by carefully pounding the roll pin out, removing the line and then drilling the hole slightly larger. I think I got info on how to do this at LS1tech.com. I did it before the motor install because lots of F-body guys do it and I figured I might need it. My clutch effort is very light and I have not had any problems. What bore is your master? If it is bigger than 3/4, I would think you would be fine. That is an untested opinion though.

I actually took out the fitting (removed the rollpin) and then cut off the flexible line and drilled and tapped the fitting for a flexible braided fitting (brake line). Bleeding is still a slight challenge, but not too bad......

Tim

A simple yet very effective way to bleed air from your slave system is to fill your master with fluid - apply vacuum to master - usually a small hole in center of reservior cap - any trapped air will boil out of system within a few seconds - then when vacuum is removed the level will drop to replace the air that was displaced - your done - bleeding complete with no wasted fluid - if you have ever had to bleed the clutch system on the Ford Ranger models whose system is designed poorly with master mounted in a position that traps air - this info will save hours of misery

I cut the fitting and added a new one. the bleeder, I removed, re-taped the slave to a npt an made a line going out the tranny with a bleeder on the end. bleeding is simple now:).

I have a Tilton 3/4 bore (16mm) in the garage, I'm guessing that that will not work right?

Thanks again...

Dan

I took my stock braided hose up to a hyduaulic fitting place and had them cut the stock fitting and press on a fitting on the MC side. I left the stock pinned set-up on the slave side.

I bought a 1 1/8" Tilton MC, since I am using a McLeod Street Twin clutch set-up.

Jody

With my T-56 (in a '77 Z) I used a 7/8" but plan to go to a 13/16". The 7/8" is a pretty stiff (too stiff for my liking) clutch pedal. I think the 1 1/8" will be way too stiff (to the point of putting alot of excess strain on the firewill where the master cylinder mounts)....just my 2 cents.

Greg