HybridZ

Engine Pre-lube systems

Guest KEINoze

Guest KEINoze

Does anybody have thoughts on this kit?

It seems like a cheap alternative to dry sump lubrication or baffle door oil pans.

The one in the above link just seems like it puts pressure on the oil pressure sending unit to give you the sense it's doing its job.

I'm not too sure about it. What do you guys think?

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

At glance it seems to be the same as an Accusump, which is a more reputable brand that I'd go with instead. It does pre-oil the engine, and compensate for any momentary loss in pressure, but I've never known anyone to try it with a stock pan, could work though.

Guest KEINoze

The one from the link is actually ony $190. It believe it doesn't actually go down to the pan to suck the oil. It seems like it's a secondary electric pump that is located on the oil pressure sending unit housing.

Still skeptical about it. At that price, it probably wouldn't hurt.

I guess you could compare it to a second pump. Basically there's a diaphram in the inside, with a small amount of air pressure behind it. When you run the engine, what ever oil pressure was present when the valve is closed is stored there is held until the valve is opened again.

It does not connect to the oil pan. The easiest way is if your running an oil cooler, or remote filters, and intersect the oil lines somehow.

I'd be real leary about buying that one. Accusumps are about the same price, and seem to have the market pretty much cornered. I never see any other brand on cars which do have a pre-oiler.

http://www.accusump.com/

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/index.html *see Canton products.

Guest KEINoze

Thanks for the helpful input guys!

Seeing that I cannot afford a drysump system or see a reason to go with a baffle door pan, I might just go with the Accusump. It might be good insurance against "early wear" on my stock 35 year old engine.

It also would be an assurance on the track and with my occasional canyon/mountain runs.

Guest bastaad525

Maybe this is OT I'm not sure, but a long time ago I had a discussion about this with another member on the board, Technical Ninja... I had some problems with a thrust bearing wearing out really badly. Anyways, we were talking about systems that build up oil pressure in the system before you start the engine, so that the engine has instant pressure when you star the car... the thought was to eliminate most of the wear that occurs on the engine when first staring it. Again I dunno if this is the same kinda system, but I do remember him saying the systems used on race cars that did this kind of thing were very pricey, maybe up in the $1000 range, and hence prohibitive as a measure for saving the wear on the engine.

If 'what they say is true', that most engine wear does occur on startup, seems to me even $1000 would be reasonable if it could possibly greatly increase the life of the engine.

Amsoil makes a good system as well that I can get you at a reasonable price, since I'm an amsoil dealer...

I have the Accusump unit and it works well too! The added advantage of these AMSOIL or CANTON Accusump is that they also provide fresh oil to the pump pickup at the filter IF you have a presure drop under hard driving conditions/ high G cornering!

Mike

Guest KEINoze

Oooh, thanks for the offer Mike! I'll let you know when I plan on putting one of these on my engine.

I still have a list of other priorities . . . first being replacing all the rear vent hoses!

Canton Accusump!

I will not AutoX my turbo cars without one ever again. They SAVE turbos. and if you get the "electric kit" you can use it for prelube also.

the nice thing about it is you can turn it off before the car, and then on to post-lube the engine if you want, tooo.

These systems have been around for years. I use them for g-load and oops prevention.

There are supplementary oil pump kits that will prelube the engine also. There is all sorts of cool stuff out there if you go looking for it.

The accumulator on that one looks a bit light, though. I trust my Canton, with my engine's life!

Guest KEINoze

They even have an electronic valve that releases the pump's pressure when you turn the ignition key on.

I've been looking around online and the possibilities seem endless now.

Thanks for all the help!

Call me cheap, but $100 just for the valve, no thanks. The cable setup looks intreging, but $60 is venturing into the "too much for me" territory too.

EDIT: forgot to mention. I mounted mine in front of the passenger seat with a manual valve; can just reach it strapped in.