HybridZ

Z for first car???

Guest SigSauerElite

Sparks280ZT, That isn't true... It is $1800 for you for liability... My stepson had $412 per year on anything 1990 or older that was not considered a current sports car. We even priced a 260Z for him, as I had a line on one back then and was contemplating buying it. He was put on our policy as the primary driver for our 1990 Civic HF, as his MR2 was going to be $1200 FULL COVERAGE for him... But within 32 days the MR2 was totalled and he was driving the civic for good... Insurance went from $412 to $1650 for just liability after that one accident, which he wasn't convicted for... He got community service and was allowed to have the ticket drop off his record...

Every case and every state is different... Every policy is based on individual or household.

Mike

This is an interesting thread. The best advise is, don't get into an accident. But, accidents are accidents because somebody makes a mistake, it may not be you and you may not be able to avoid it. I'm going give my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

It seems like most are assuming you will go liability only. While that is definitely cheaper, I carry full coverage for our cars. By full coverage I mean personal injury protection for you and your passengers. I was riding as a passenger in my brother's truck and there were two guys in the back. On the way back from a little four wheeling in the middle of the day we were taking a gentle curve at about 30mph when this other truck comes at us and doesn't make the corner. He just goes straight, crosses the line and nails us on the front left quarter. He hit us so hard that he knocked us off the road and we rolled over down an embankment. Everyone was unconscious except for me. Long story short, one of the guys in the back needed major facial reconstruction and both legs broken. The other has permanent brain damage, and my brother needed something like 100 stitches for various cuts on his head, shoulder, and arm. I got a scrape on the knee. The point is, when something like that happens, the last thing you worry about is the car. One trip to the hospital will take months to years to pay off if the other driver doesn't have coverage. And, believe me, they treat you a lot different if they know there is not insurance.

My point is, be responsible. Even if that means driving a slow turdmobile, or full coverage or anything else that is needed to keep you, friends, and family safe. I would say that you can do it in a Z, but there are a lot of other cars out there that will brake better and do better in a crash. Z's are small and light. Generally speaking the lugnut rule applies in accidents: The car with the most lugnuts wins! Hit a Hyundai Spec with a Mack truck and see who gets injured.

Sorry about the long soap box speech there. Best of luck!

Mikelly, I am basing my figures off this (these were all vehicles of mine) This is what my yearly rate was for each one with a perfect driving record but I was under 18.

1977 280z - $1500

1990 Jeep Wrangler -$1500

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo -$1500

1999 Toyota Tacoma -$1500

2003 Toyota Tundra -$1500

I never owned more than one of these vehicles at any time and each time I changed vehicles they were paid for in cash. Each time I notified my insurance agent it was always the same questions, is it paid for ? (yes) any accidents on your record? (no) When I turned 18 this past November my insurance dropped to $1100 a year because I had went the 2 year period with no accidents. All of my friends who own their cars pay withthin the $1000 to $2000 range for liability.

Good article there. Thanks for pointing that out. I agree that not all cars are created equally in terms of crash safey. Shop around for a safe car. Still, notice the first paragraph with bolded type. They allude to the fact that the mass of the truck would surely cause greater problems for the smaller car. The testing was against a stationary barrier. They also say the majority of accidents are single car. I don't know about you, but I don't plan on pushing it so that I end up as a single car statistic. Single car accidents mean the driver blew it. That is why I said, in general. When making a generality there will always be specifics to contradict. However, in general means that a car with larger mass, hitting a smaller car, not a barrier, is much worse than say a Z on Z collision. With eveyone driving bigger and bigger SUV's, the chances of getting nailed like we did (his was a full size truck and my bro's was a Toyota) are getting higher all the time. By the way, the lug nut rule came from a guy that does car on car low speed crash testing with human subjects. He drives a big SUV.

Sparks280ZT,

One thing I noticed thats common amoung all the vehicles you listed is the insurance companies rate all of them at a higher risk either because they are a 4X4 or a sports car. At least thats how all the insurance companies I've ever dealt with have ranked those vehicles.

I personally think this young man should get a few years driving experience in a "turdmobile" before being turned loose in on the public in a sports car. But I'm an old geezer whos tired of aggresive young drivers cutting him off and acting like they own the road regardless of the car they're driving. That's why I'm building my Beast-Z, so I can be an a$$hole on the roads as well. JK.

Wheelman

:) Hehe, careful there, my wife wants a minivan, don't give her any more ammo! We have a Mitsubishi Galant 4 airbags side impact beams 4 wheel antilock brakes. And, we have a Jeep Cherokee Sport. It does have a unibody as well, not a frame/truck construction. I don't consider it an SUV because it predates SUV's. I learned to work on cars with my first Jeep. Large engine bay and easy to work on. Parts are cheap and easy to find. Still not very safe though. Maybe someday we can afford a car designed to be safe! My wife wants a Volvo, I think she said XC70.

OK lets be honest here, is a stock Z really a beast on the streets??? I think anyone who has some common since can handle it just fine, and if its an auto than even easier. I mean they dont put dont a lot of hp stock.

Oh and wheelman just to clarify, the insurance on my brothers 4 door saturn and 4 door diesel mercedes were both 1500 a year, that seems the goin rate here no matter what it is.

Guest bastaad525

haven't read the whole thread, but real quick...

I've been driving Z's off and on since I was 18. Insurance on them has always been reasonable, and comparable to other cars of approximately same age (20 years plus).... in other words, reasonably cheap, as the companies I dealt with weren't considering them as 'classics', and for whatever reason, also weren't considering them as sports cars, rather, they list them as hatchbacks. I think the bluebook value of the cars (also very low) comes into play here I'm not sure. Anyways, I have a '72 240z now, and a clean driving record... 26 now so not in the same category as you, but still, for liability alone I only pay about $40 a month on a 'classic, sports car'. Of course if they knew it had a turbo in it and it makes nearly double the power of stock.... >:)

Well as I stated before, There are a number of factors that are individually and geographically based. We can all make guesses, but the kids only going to get the right answer from an insurance agent. If he gets on his parents policy, it will be about 1/3rd what it would be on his own, assuming his parents have good credit and aren't already assigned high risk... Also, Zip code has a LOT to do with it... If your area is considered one where high property damage/ high fatalility rates exist, then as a new driver, it may be higher still because of those factors.

You also stand as good a chance of taking the total number of posts in this thread, pulling the individual numbers of those members who posted more than once, pull the favorites, buying a lottery ticket and playing those numbers!

Welcome to the world of being responsible...

Mike