HybridZ

Northern Tool VAPER HVLP guns

Guest rick458

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I bought a set of 3 guns and a regulator for $89.95 last month, and I'm using them for the first time tomorrow.

Guest rick458

I just ordered My Epoxy and High fill primer from Southern Polyurathanes Inc

and will shoot my Chevy, when I can fit it in.

Please let me know how they do this will be my first Car painting

I will need all the tips I can get

I will practice on the work car before doing the Z

Guest rick458

Does anybody sell a 3/8NPT x 1/4 id 5-6 foot rubber hose?

and if I step up from 3/8 NPT to 1/2 " for my main hose would my air tools

operate better?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can get just about any length hose you need at HarborFreight.com, or at their retail store if you have one local to you. The rubber hose is a lot more flexible, but the PVC is cheaper and more durable in rough conditions. You may want to get a short "whip" hose to attach to your paint gun to make it easier to maneuver.

I'd recommend that you also purchase a mini oil/water separator from them and put it between the regulator and gun. It makes it a bit bulkier, but it makes a great last defense against contamination, and it's only like $5. I can get you the part number if you need it.

I can't give you any input on the hose size aside from the fact that in my opinion 1/2" would be too bulky and unwieldy. If your compressor isn't up to task, upgrade the compressor. The 1/2" hose may help a bit(dunno), but it's still going to come down to the compressor.

I use a single 3/8" 50' hose with a brass regulator set at 90psi at the compressor and a diaphragm regulator set at 38psi before the gun(no reg w/ other tools). I have no problems with pressure, even when using a DA sander and die grinder. My compressor is 10 scfm @ 90psi w/ a 60g tank, so it's not small, but nothing special. I got it for $325 used, or you can get it brand new for $450. You can get one with the same tank but a dual-stage motor with 15scfm @ 90psi for $520. That will be my next one, and I'll sell this one to recover part of the cost.

I used the Vaper paint gun (actually made by Titan) today. I found that it sprayed quite well once I got the settings dialed in. At first the knobs seemed a bit sensitive and hard to adjust, but I got used to it and got them set up perfectly after about 5 minutes of test spraying. The build quality seems high, and the only complaint I have is the pop-on lid, but that's not a real problem... just a pet peeve.

I used the 1.4mm tip and sprayed a fine mica basecoat followed by a clear with .004" holographic microflake in it.

It's hard to take pictures of paint in a dark carport with a $20 digicam, but here it is:

fenderpaint.jpg

fenderpainttop.jpg

fenderpaintbright.jpg

fenderpaintclose.jpg

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

It's a bit heavy compared to the top brands. Trigger operation was perfect. I did quite a few "split panels" where I stopped spraying in the middle of a panel, then picked back up where I left off, and the trigger was smooth enough that I have no visible lines from overlap.

Overall I think it's a great gun. Not perfect, but much better than the price reflects. Just make sure to play with the adjustments until you get a good spray pattern. At first it was way too splattery, but I turned the fan pattern down to about 3" at 4" from the surface, and adjusted the fluid knob accordingly, and it sprayed great.

I set my regulator so that I got an actual 10psi constant while the trigger was depressed. That ended up being 38psi at the regulator with the gun not spraying, but of course it varies with each setup. I started out with 30psi at the reg, but I was losing too much pressure through my oil/water separator and the gun. The oil/water separator is pretty restrictive, but if anything it helps smooth the airflow and keep fluctuations down.

I'll post pics of the whole car in a couple days. That was just a spare fender that I used to test the spray pattern.

Guest rick458

You have the separator right at the gun or at the compressor regulator?

I have a filter spearator right past the Tank regulator, but I was blowing MUCH water with the grinder and sander today

I was wondering why you painted a dent:confused2

is the metal flake different colors? looks like a bit of Blue, pink, and Silver in it

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Your oil/water separator should be at least 25 feet from the compressor to allow the air to cool and the moisture to condense.

A separator near the tank will hardly gather any water, so I don't even use one. Mine is attached to my gun. It's about the size of a pill bottle.

The flake is clear. It's full-spectrum holographic. It can be red, orange, yellow, green, blue, or violet depending on the angle of the light source. At night it's invisible, and in full sun it makes a big rainbow over the whole surface of the car.

It's fagulous.

I have FIVE of those guns. They work just fine. As stated earlier by 'Magnum', just take the time to get it dialed in for your spray technique...everyone shoots a little differently. True, they aren't Sata quality; but, this isn't my job, just a hobby and I can get damn near high-end shop-quality results with these 'cheapies'. I also have some Harbor Freight guns (two quart 'pot', and smaller 'detail' gun for spot jobs); but, Titan's customer support blows away HF. I called them and they sent me a bunch of spare 'filters', and a box of screw on lids(eventhough she misunderstood me, and they were for a different cup - I still really appreciated the effort).

This is where I found the best pricing, though they have gone up $10 since December. I got the three gun set here, and the two gun set on eBay. I would recommend this site for both, AND order different sized tips here too.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/searchby.asp

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I got the paint at a local shop called "Finish Master". The base and clear is DuPont Nason, and was $25 for a half gallon of base and a gallon of reducer, and $65 for a gallon of clear and a quart of activator. The base was a "mismix" and was a shade off the factory color, so it was dirt cheap. They sell mismixes for $2 a quart.

With all the extra supplies like sandpaper discs, mixing cups, and laqceur thinner, I spent $105 on a full car's worth of paint, plus I'll have a full quart of base and clear left after the job, with which I can paint a motorcycle.

The microflake can be purchased on Ebay and added to any clear in the density you want. It works on ANY base and looks great on black. Just search Ebay for "pearl" or "flake".

I might try to shoot some over black to let you see what it looks like.

It works on ANY base and looks great on black.

Yeeeaaahhhh!!:rockon:
I might try to shoot some over black to let you see what it looks like.

Please Please Please Please :hail: I do believe I found the paint I want for my car!:D

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I shot some of the flake over black tonight. I just did a motorcycle tailpiece that I had laying around.

In low light, the paint just looks black, but you can see faint flecks of silvery glitter, kind of like dust on the paint. In full light, there's a full spectrum rainbow that swirls with the shifting light. Each individual flake is capable of being 7 colors, so it's a dramatic effect.

I think it would look good sprayed over a metalflake black or charcoal. I'm painting my wife's motorcycle titanium charcoal metallic with a little holographic flake on top of it, so I'll post pics when I get it done... probably in a couple weeks.

Anyways, these pics were taken with a flash and/or in low light, so they don't really show the full effect. I'll try to take some better pics in the sun during the day.

Keep in mind that in the pics you're not seeing the flake, you're seeing the colored glimmer of light that the flake throws off. The actual flake is tiny... the size of a speck of dust. The glimmers are so bright that they blur in the picture. Also, keep in mind that since we have two eyes compared to the camera's single lens, we see many more glimmers and different colors than the camera can show. It's really hard to describe, and nearly impossible to photograph due to the constantly changing colors.

blackflake.jpg

blackflake2.jpg

blackflake3.jpg

blackflake4.jpg

blackflake5.jpg