HybridZ

LT1 installed

I was able to get the LT1 in the engine compartment without too many problems. Here's a couple of pic's:

http://home.earthlink.net/~570z/images/LT1_install2.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~570z/images/LT1_installed.JPG

I haven't "clearanced" anything yet but everything is awfully close on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. I either need to grind the fin down around the starter and/or "clearance" the tunnel at that location. I'm very happy with how the engine sits low and back in the engine bay; it looks much better than the original engine did :D .

Looking' good!

Did you use the JTR crossmember spacers' date=' or leave them out?

Bill[/quote']I will be using a custom transmission mount that will bolt to the inside of the tunnel instead of bolting on to the bottom of the floor pan. Right now it's just held up by a jack :shifty: .

I think he's talking about the spacers that go inbetween the front crossmember (where your engine bolts up to) and the "frame".

There are two half inch thick steel spacers that lower the crossmember some, dropping your engine a little into the chassis.

Cool, I'm using a willwood 3/4" master and the T56 I have has an internal slave so I'm going to eliminate the quick disconnect and just tap the slave cylinder and run a short length of flex the go hardline to the master (like Jeromio did). I think the tunnel needs some clearance for the reverse light switch. Bang bang with a big hammer should do it.

Bartman,

Nice choice of color :)

037.jpg

Mine went in for test fitting everything last week... The motor still needs to come out, apart and gone through and the headers will go out to be coated as soon as I have everything mocked up.

Jody

Bartman,

There is enough space for a turbocharger in front of the engine... :mrgreen:

I appreciate the pics because I have been contemplating a future LT1 swap that will include a single large turbo at the front of the motor. The LT1 looks very "clean" in front so I think I can utilize the space there. I do have an actual turbo exhaust manifold, but I'm not sure of the flow characteristics, but mounting a turbo would be no problem. Post more pics as ou make progress, please!!

Davy

I think he's talking about the spacers that go inbetween the front crossmember (where your engine bolts up to) and the "frame".

There are two half inch thick steel spacers that lower the crossmember some' date=' dropping your engine a little into the chassis.[/quote']Sorry, I misunderstood. I looked at the JTR site, and it looks like you're referring to the DAT-105 spacers. No I didn't use these spacers, but as you can see the engine sits plenty low in the engine compartment.

Bartman' date='

There is enough space for a turbocharger in front of the engine... :mrgreen:

I appreciate the pics because I have been contemplating a future LT1 swap that will include a single large turbo at the front of the motor. The LT1 looks very "clean" in front so I think I can utilize the space there. I do have an actual turbo exhaust manifold, but I'm not sure of the flow characteristics, but mounting a turbo would be no problem. Post more pics as ou make progress, please!!

Davy[/quote']Davy,

There seems to be plenty of room for a turbo, and I'm glad you like the pic's. I will keep posting my progress.

Bartman' date='

Nice choice of color :)

Mine went in for test fitting everything last week... The motor still needs to come out, apart and gone through and the headers will go out to be coated as soon as I have everything mocked up.

Jody[/quote']Looks good Jody. Obviously I still need to at least partially remove my motor to put in my headers and do a little "clearancing".

Hey, that looks absolutely fantastic. I'm very encouraged by your pictures - I too am swapping an LT1 into a Z. How did you go about painting the engine bay? It looks great.
Thanks Justin. I posted quite a bit of information in regards to painting my engine bay, you can look through all my posts and find lots of information and pictures. I've also posted up pic's and info at the web site in my signature below.

-Bart