HybridZ

piston design question for boost

What happens in a boosted application if the first piston is used? What will the chamfers on the edge cause to happen? The second piston is the standard TRW "blower" piston with the D shaped cup. The first is just a regular forged TRW piston, but both yield the same compression ratio for all practical purposes. The guy at summit is telling me I can use the L2377F, but I am a little worried about it. I know the L2453F is built for boosted engines. What are your thoughts on this? I am just curious before I put in the order. I think I am going to stick with the standard blower piston unless you guys tell me the chamfer set up will not cause any issues with the top ring.

8239l2377f_piston.jpg

8239l2453f_piston.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

I believe the chamfers he's talking about is on the outer diameter. I'd use the Blower piston personally. They come with floating pins if memory serves me correctly. If you are using aftermarket rods(and I would) then you'll be set.

Wouldn't you want to keep the A/F mixture coming into the engine closer to the flame front? With the first set of pistons, you'll be sending all the mixture to the outside, closer to the ring lands, away from the flame front. Since the ringland is what's weakest on the pistons, I would choose the second set to keep the A/F in the center close to the flame front. Closer to the flame front, less timing you need to make power also.

The first set of pistons look very strange. I don't know why you would ever chamfer the outside edge of the piston. You would create pockets on the outside that keep a good even burn throughout the chamber.

It looks like some kind of attempt to raise the compression. Flat tops or the dished ones would work better.

blower, supercharger, turbo... Both a blower and a turbo are superchargers...

They are all forced induction engines. A turbo will use a different piston than a blower.

I would go with the second piston with the first ring pulled away from the combustion chamber, and a dish to concentrate the fuel air mix at ignition into a central turbulent area.

I got the second pistons in and they are at the machine shop now. Should have everything back next week and I'll start assembling the monster. I really like the thickness of the top when i saw the pistons first hand. Very rugged piston. Maybe my L28et will blow up and this is the only other running engine I will have around for a while, yeah right, like I would try lowering this thing in. :)