HybridZ

Extreme Makeover, 280Z28 Style

Phantom

Zack has gone under the knife again. This time his interior has been gutted - everything but the dash - which is original and crack free. The original '77 brown interior is changing over to black with red accents. I've already acquired all the hard plastic black interior parts - including the taillight cover - and the brown components are coming out and will be available to someone who wants a nice brown interior. The headliner, sunvisors, seats, door panels, and strut towers where there is vinyl now will be 100% leather - again, black with red accents. The roll bar will be padded in leather. The carpet is a high end plush - dark charcoal with deep red accents through it.

While it's apart it's getting an Alpine sound system - 500 watts RMS - that includes the head unit, component speakers in front, replacement side speakers, subwoofer in the rear designed to reflect off the hatch, CD changer, amplifier, and capacitor. Oh yeah - and a new power antenna to replace the one that quit working about a month ago. The car will be heavily sound deadened and absorbed while it's apart and have the body seals replaced. I figure it will cost me .1-.2 on the quarter but the car is primarily a daily driver so I'll live with it - and happily.

It should be back on the street in about two weeks and I'll post some photos at the time in my gallery.

Sounds like your just about "done" with that beast! I really want to do the same thing you are doing with the leather covering up the strut towers. The plastic (in my 280ZX) just isnt all that great looking IMHO.

However, I need to paint the outside of my car and attach the body kit first before I worry about perfecting my interior. My interior is pretty nice for stock stuff but it still needs improvment over stock.

I can't wait to see pics! :-)

The original vinyl is being used to some degree as templates for the new leather. The original pattern in the stock seats is being used but is being "enhanced" with deeper pleats up the center and increased height of the side bolsters. The center sections of the seat will be red with the remainder in black with red double stiching and the 280Z style "Z" embroidered in red in the headrest. The seat is also being lowered over an inch in the rear to help with my head clearance issue (6'-4").

I'll post more as things develop. May get a couple in-progress photos up in the next 3-4 days.

Mmmmmm . . . nothing like the smell and feel of new leather! You have got to quit Bill, you are making us all look bad. We are moving back to the Dallas area in early May. I'll have to come by and take another look at your car. I may join the club, but we will be in Rockwall, which would be quite a drive to go to any meetings.

Guest comeandzpa
All the 1st generation Z's (240, 260, 280) had black dashes so I don't have to do either.

I did not know this! They say you learn something new every day...well, I'm done for the day.