HybridZ

Headlight trouble

DaEvil

I'm new to this Z thing but I seem to be hooked. I got a quick question maybe someone can answer. I have a 73 240 and one headlight is not working. I went back to the plug at the harness and tested it there I get only 6 volts .Any help is welcome.

Guest 305240

If it's one thing these old Z cars are famous for, it's bad/corroded/rusted grounds. You have to consider, they are over/almost 30 years old. Start at the beginning. Check and clean Battery ground...batt to body ground...body to eng ground...batt to engine ground...alt to engine ground...then check the relay ground...check the headlight ground. I would highly recommend doing the "headlight upgrade". This will assure you of getting the full 12 volts to your headlights, which by the way really light up the dark as opposed to what you are used to right now. Good luck. The little gremlin is in there somewhere.

Z's use a rathar bizzare wiring scheme on their headlights. they are notorious for having corroded contacts in the headlight switch. This is due in part to the switch carrying the full current of the headlights.

A MUCH better way is to get on Pete Paraska's sight and install the headlight relays. Pete lays out the details real good. Many have done it. Will most likely fix your problem in a way you will never have to deal with again.

http://alteredz.com/Headlight_Relay_pg1.htm

While you are at it, upgrade your turn signals

http://alteredz.com/turnsgn1.htm

240z's are allso have very poor fuse blocks , make sure your fuse holder for that side headlamp is clean and that is fuse is good, dont just look at it though, i had one headlamp that would light up dimmer than the other one and it truned out to be the fuse for that side was pop'd under the endcover of the fuse and the little power i was getting to that side was feedback from the other side that was good still.I put a new fuse in and it worked again .