HybridZ

A quick FI and ignition 280zxt to S30 turbo swap guide

bumble zee

Alright cool. No worries then. thanks! looks like everythings working on my swap, fuel and spark, except the car desnt start :( switched to a 79-83 non-turbo distributor cause mine wasnt workin right so i dont use plug 2 or 3. and the previus owner installed an electric fuel pump already. i dont know any info on the pump thats in it though :/

That whole drawn diagram is meant for just 82 and 83, not the 81. So don't even refer to it.

You said you swapped out to a non turbo distributor, how does that work?? On the turbo FI and ingition, the distributor is controlled by the crank sensor on the crank and the eccs tells it when to fire. So a NA distributor wont work with turbo electronics.

If the car doesn't start, make sure the plugs aren't soak with gas, make sure the AFM if working, check timing.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The n/a distributor works fine on the turbo motor. It doesn't use any of harness from the car, just needs a switched power and then the two wires to the coil. Easy. The ignitor is built into the dist and runs off of the distributor spinning. I did this because it's what Mikes Z shop in Whittier CA suggested me to do. He said the turbo distributors often have problems because of the CAS so swapping in the n/a dist works better. e1280x.jpg

Got the car running. The timing was way off and kragen sold me the wrong dist cap :/ .................…and my plugs needed replacing

Edited by Krumm

It should work. Because all the na distributor needs is a switched 12v+ and the rest is taken care of by the dist and the module on the side of it. Mikes z shop said to just leave it be on the vacuum

Edited by Krumm

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys I just finished taking the 82 zxt wiring out and found something that was different from the pictures shown here on this thread.

Picture1.jpg

The top blue wire is the one that goes to coil to feed the tach. The other two goes to the coil also. [same 2 point connector?]

Edited by xShodaimex

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

quick question im doing the harness swap right now and was wondering if i needed to wire in another fuel pump relay if im using a walbro fuel pump. the instructions said i need a 20amp relay, but can i just overlook this and use the stock relay off the harness?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used a fog light relay with an inline fuse.

Thanks, I think ima going to use the fuel pump relay off the 82zxt harness and an inline fuse....where did you put the fuse in the connection and what did you do for the negative terminal on the fuel pump?

Thanks, I think ima going to use the fuel pump relay off the 82zxt harness and an inline fuse....where did you put the fuse in the connection and what did you do for the negative terminal on the fuel pump?

The fuse is on the constant for the relay, and what you do with the negative wire depends on if you have the 300zx eccs and maf conversion. Stock 280zxt the positive is a switched, and on the 300zx the negative is the switched.

The fuse is on the constant for the relay, and what you do with the negative wire depends on if you have the 300zx eccs and maf conversion. Stock 280zxt the positive is a switched, and on the 300zx the negative is the switched.

i have the stock 82zxt ecu and afm setup. With the negative post off the fuel pump can i just run a wire and ground it somewhere?

b4ugw7.jpg The long green wire end goes to the positive on my fuel pump, i just need to know what to do for negative terminal on the fuel pump, because as you can see there is no ground wire for the fuel pump, off the relay........only that small black wire, which the guide say is a ground for the relay(do i just ground this wire on the body in the engine bay?).

Edited by cd1105

• 1 month later...

i have the stock 82zxt ecu and afm setup. With the negative post off the fuel pump can i just run a wire and ground it somewhere?

b4ugw7.jpg The long green wire end goes to the positive on my fuel pump, i just need to know what to do for negative terminal on the fuel pump, because as you can see there is no ground wire for the fuel pump, off the relay........only that small black wire, which the guide say is a ground for the relay(do i just ground this wire on the body in the engine bay?).

-Blue with red stripe - is switched power for your fuel pump relay (has 12+ volts when key is on, will have power for 5 seconds if car is not running to prime the fuel system, and will have a constant 12+ volts when car is running.)

For a relay to work, you need a constant +, switched +, signal, and ground -.

Constant 12+ will obviously come straight from the battery, switched comes from the blue with red stripe wire from the eccs, signal wire in your case is the green wire you have going to the + side of the fuel pump, and the ground for the relay and the fuel pump can goto the body or the - on the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

-Blue with red stripe - is switched power for your fuel pump relay (has 12+ volts when key is on, will have power for 5 seconds if car is not running to prime the fuel system, and will have a constant 12+ volts when car is running.)

For a relay to work, you need a constant +, switched +, signal, and ground -.

Constant 12+ will obviously come straight from the battery, switched comes from the blue with red stripe wire from the eccs, signal wire in your case is the green wire you have going to the + side of the fuel pump, and the ground for the relay and the fuel pump can goto the body or the - on the battery.

Ok thanks i got it figured out. Now i have everything wired up, and the only missing piece is the oil pressure switch and o2 sensor. The two harnesses in the guide don't have an oil pressures connection and an o2 connection, or does mine just not? I didn't see one off any of my harnesses what are people doing with the oil pressure switch and o2?

Edited by cd1105

• 3 weeks later...

Oil pressure on mine is just 2 female bullet connectors, and the o2 sensor is pretty obvious.

Yea I found the 02 sensor.... Can you show me a pic of your oil pressure switch connection, where it goes to the harness?

Thanks for your help bumble zee

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, let me try to make my question clear with pictures. this is the oil pressure switch off a 280zxt, its two pronged 6769dl_27.jpeg and this is the type on a 260z(my car is a late model 260z) Datsun-240z-260z-280z-510-NEW-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Sender-for-sale_230442551618.jpg. The connection off my harness(the stock 260z harness) is a single yellow wire with black stripe that plugs onto the 260z oil pressure switch. My question is how do I adapt my single connection off of the 260z harness to work with the two prong 280zxt style oil pressure switch? I know i will have to cut and add on a new connector end to fit the prong style, but there are two prongs and only one wire off the harness.