HybridZ

vortec engine

Guest vortec260z

Guest vortec260z

Hey all, new to posting here but not new to reading up on the forums. Been contemplating whether or not to finaly to convert my Z to a v8. I bought the JTR conversion manual, helped a ton...decided to do it. I done plenty of searching but couldn't find exactly what I need.

I'm able to get a 5.7L vortec v8 sbc from a 96 chevy sierra for probably free. It only has around 40k miles on it, so would work great. I plan to remove all the fuel injection from it, mainly b/c I don't want to mess with the wiring. I already have the correct intake for it. I plan to use the 4barrel edelbrock carbs with it. My main question is what other wiring or little suprises I might come across that the JTR manual doesn't explain? Will the motor mounts from that engine work with the JTR mounts or will I need to go with the older mounts? I plan to use the borg warner t-5 (5 spd from camaro) and the stock r180 diff. Both of those should hold up ok shouldn't it? I don't plan on upgrading the engine much, only headers and a better cam. I don't remember the cam offhand, but found it searching thru these forums. Btw I have a 3/74 260z currently running like crap and about to throw original engine in garbage can.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

-Tyler

Welcome to the board! Browse the Chevy section of the board, 'search' around a bit and I am sure you'll find lots of information and idea's for your project. If you still can't find waht you're looking for, be specific about the information you need, that will help us help you.

Guest vortec260z

The engine is a vortec 350 5.7L from a 96 chevy sierra(1500). I don't know much mor about the b/c its still in the truck, waiting on getting the parts for it before I pull it. I have used the search, but nothing specifically that I need come up about this engine.

The engine is EFI in the truck, has the vortec head....about all I know about it. I plan to swap it from EFI to carburated. I have the edelbrock rpm performer intake for this specific engine and the carbs already.

Mainly I just need to know what extra wiring or other small problems will I come across that the JTR manual doesn't discuss? JTR only explains the older engines.

Thanks

Guest vortec260z

ahh thats good news to hear, thanks. Will the engine mounts from that engine work with JTR mounts? or will I have to get the mounts from an older chevy engine?

ahh thats good news to hear, thanks. Will the engine mounts from that engine work with JTR mounts? or will I have to get the mounts from an older chevy engine?

Check your JTR manual Tyler. It lists the part numbers for the motor mounts you'll need. ;)

Guest vortec260z

Which dizzy do u need? from the 350 or 260z engine? The one from 260z I plan on keeping on the engine and selling it with it. Has a blown head gasket, fixing that and then gonna sell it. I do have a points dizzy from a 240z, worked fine when I popped it off.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

I haven't searched much for this but how are the distributors on ebay? Like this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33690&item=7961394000&rd=1 Rather have a brand new than a junkyard one to take chances with working or not. Seem rather cheap on ebay compared to like summit racing. But summit racing has good quality.

-Tyler

Just wanted to throw my two cents in and say that you should see if the engine has a roller cam. If it already does then you should get the heads machined for the bigger lift and put an aftermarket cam in. That's an easy 400hp upgrade for well under $500 not very much work I would think. BUT, then you have to worry about your cam working well with the low compression pistons..... and thus it begins. :D