HybridZ

What Octane are you running?

Dnaught14

Guest Chris240turbo

I don't see why you couldn't run 18 psi, with a good tune with the parts you have violacleff, In fact I've been running 22 psi for the last week or so, everyday, EGT temps are in line at about 1350 at full throttle at the top of 3rd gear (on the interstate, nowhere around where I live to run that fast!) and the car is still very rich with AFR's around 10:1 at full throttle and 7000 rpm, and the plugs , NGK 7's, look great. I believe that's as high as I'll run for now, much more power than I have chassis to handle, although the LSD helped a bunch, and I have ground control coil overs and camber plates, illuminas, and arizona Z brakes ready to go on.

I think the key to really getting the most out of a turbo set up like mine is the datalogging feature on the E6K, and also the LM-1 wideband set up, when you nail the throttle in my car, the last place you want to be looking is at the guages really, a quick glance maybe, but the datalog stuff keeps track of all of it for you. really slick. I'm going to the dyno soon, just to get a power number, as tuning on the street is pretty easy now, tuning and thermal management (big I/C, radiator, ect..) seem to be the key.

To be honest, I don't expect to get stock type reliability out of this motor, no more than I expect all night entertainment out of a really good fireworks display, if you know what I mean!

I have been using 100 octane and using toluene with 91. Toluene is 114 oct and 10 a gallon. so

3 gallons of 91 with a gallon of toluene is

3gallons (91) + 1 gallon (114)

----------------------------- = 97 octane

4 gallons

right now I have 16 PSI and am keeping it on the safe side. (2jz-gte).

I have been told 15 psi is do able with 91.

I have been using 100 octane and using toluene with 91. Toluene is 114 oct and 10 a gallon. so

3 gallons of 91 with a gallon of toluene is

3gallons (91) + 1 gallon (114)

----------------------------- = 97 octane

4 gallons

right now I have 16 PSI and am keeping it on the safe side. (2jz-gte).

I have been told 15 psi is do able with 91.

I've used toluene before. Works good and is easy to get.

Guest 260ondubs

I will run 98 octane only (any less and your crazy at high boost levels).

1 Bar Boost, ~8:1 CR, dished pistons

Haltech E6X

NB. If I get crazy enough to want to run a real fast time at the track, then ill put in some ELF Turbomax (race fuel.. I think around 108 octane), give it another 5 pounds and some degrees of timing and tune to suit.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I've heard nothing but good things about toulene, have always wanted to pick some up but really since I get away just fine with the 91 oct. as it is now... just didn't see the need. If I EVER get around to taking this car to the track I'll probably hunt down a gallon or two of the stuff so I can up boost to 15-16psi maybe and see how quick I can get it to go.

I will say, once or twice I turned boost up to 15psi, but since I"m using a manual, grainger valve style boost controller, I get a bit of spiking... at 15psi I usually get about 2-3psi of spike before it settles down. At that boost level, again running 91, there was one or two times I was running up a freeway onramp and I THINK I heard it ping, when the boost spiked after shifting... didn't really test that too many times to find out for sure, maybe 75% sure I heard it ping.

Guest Loose_Screws

Well, I am headed to the dragstrip tonight and see if I break something. Gonna load MegaSquirt 'extra' with the 12x12 fuel and spark maps, turn boost up to 14-15psi, and tune with Zeitronix WB. I have ran 14psi before, but broke a ring land on the weak stock pistons, which have been replaced with the thicker ring land pistons from a turbo motor.

Setup:

Standard T3

MegaSquirt 'Extra' 021U code

440 Low Z injectors

Custom fuel rail built by yours truely

18"x8"x3" w/ 2.5" inlets and piping FMIC

3" crush bent exhaust

Stock '77 block (casting#?)

P90 mech. lifer head

MSD 6A

Stock Dizzy w/ vacuum and mechanical locked down

Walbro 255 pump and Jaz Fuel Cell

Electric fan (deleted stock fan)

93 octane (or whatever I can find here in Alabama)

Magic and 260ondubs Aussie octane rating is very different than the US rating.

There are 3 octane ratings:

RON (research octane number) which is used in Australia, Japan, is good at relating part throttle knock resistance.

MON (motor octane rating), is good at relating full throttle knock resistance.

Pump octane rating as used in the US which is RON+MON/2 captures both.

Aussie 98 RON = US 94 pump octane

96 RON = 92

105 RON = 100

For turbo cars, MON is a better measure, since it relate to full throttle knock resistance. The US rating captures both RON and MON. However, manufacturers can make a gas with high RON and very low MON, which will pre detonate easily (so a poor 98 RON gas may actually have a pump octane of 90 instead of the expected 94). As such, the variability in gas quality for the same 98 RON is much higher than when using the other octane rating systems.