HybridZ

What Octane are you running?

Dnaught14

I was curious to see what octane gas people run with their boosted z's at different boost levels. Hopefully I can get a good feel of what kind of money it will cost me for gas at differnt setups. Granted i understand that bigger injectors/supplementary injectors and different turbo's all equate different numbers, but regardless of the combination, id be curious to see what people use.

94 octane at 15 psi and 100 octane at 19 psi. I know that both of these are totally safe with my setup as it never detonates no matter how warm it is or how hard I work the engine. I think I could make it with 92 octane at 15 psi but I have not tried yet. I also think the 100 octane should be good for 22-25 psi. Will try that after the track opens!

Guest bastaad525

91 octane at 14 psi, intercooled on the stock turbo, also my timing is advanced 2* from stock, and I do run my setup pretty rich, varies from 10-11:1 air/fuel ratio across the rpm range at full throttle (using a rising rate FPR). A few people have said I'm crazy to run this setup on 91 but it's held together fine and I have yet to hear a single ping, as well it's never shown any signs of ping during several dyno pulls. No flecks on my spark plugs.. nothin.

I suppose my questioing behind this is how much money it will cost every time i fill up. What I have found is that any engine that produces more than 250 hp needs premium gas, or a higher level of octane regardless of v8 or l6. Thanks for the info those of you who posted.

I suppose my questioing behind this is how much money it will cost every time i fill up. What I have found is that any engine that produces more than 250 hp needs premium gas, or a higher level of octane regardless of v8 or l6. Thanks for the info those of you who posted.

My brand new GMC Sierra puts out 280hp and runs on 87.

Alright boys, i wasnt questioning the ability to run a lower octane on a larger engine. Rather I was saying that any high performance car will need a higher octane. Not to say that the hemi, or the sierra have weak engines, however, they arnt engines you consider to be high performance. When i hear serra truck, performance engine are not the words that come to mind. Point being, i wanted to see what kind of fuel people had to use based on thier different setups. Thankyou for the information though.

93 octane with 15 psi of boost but have done a few runs at 17 psi without problems.

Stock turbo motor with t3/t04b, spearco ic, all 1976 efi stuff and fuel pressure ramping up to 100 psi at full boost.

20 initial timing, 28 total, plus 14 more from the vacuum advance during off boost driving.

PS. a 454cid in my 70' c10 chevy makes close to 400hp/500 ftlb on 87 octane.

Guest Chris240turbo

93 oct pumpgas, and run 22 psi daily, 60-1 full T-4, racegate, 550cc injectors, haltech E6K, timing is set at 26 base ramping to 37 by 3500 rpm, then 1 degree out for each psi until a max of 25 degrees @ 13 psi @ 7000rpm

I'll eventually try a few more pounds, on higher octane fuel, duty cycles are around 88% @ 6800 rpm...

This is a very interesting thread. Chris you said 22 psi on 93 octane? I remember when mike(on3go) made a thread a long time ago about wanting to get 400hp on pump gas at about 22 psi, and everyone said it was a bad idea. I'm running 8.5:1 compression. Is it possible to run say 18psi (or even higher) on 91 octane safely with a proper tune?

Guest Magic

Im running 98 octane @ 14psi daily.

8.4:1 CR

T3/T4 with fully programable engine management.

P90 port matched with some chamber work and flat top pistons.

Guest bastaad525

where's Jersey? I know he's running 18psi on the stock T3, I think he's running 93-94 octane? Don't know how much HP but running mid 12's in a '73 240.

I've had my boost set as high as 15 psi steady to redline on the stock T3 and our our crappy 91 octane, running it pretty rich at like 10.5:1, again with timing advanced 3* from stock as well. I too was running pretty high fuel pressure to get it nice and rich like that, like 75-80psi, but decided to turn the boost and fuel pressure down after some guys here put the scare into me about running such 'high' fuel pressure. At any rate, I did run it that way for quite a while, and never had any problems, no evidence of detonation.

But after talking with Pyro (see post above, 100psi fuel pressure for the last couple years with no problems!), and hearing of a very interesting article in Car Craft (or maybe it was another muscle car magazine) talking about the effects of raising fuel pressure (it's nowhere near as bad as you think, matter of fact it turns out it may not be bad at all!!!) I'm thinking I might bump fuel pressure and boost back up and enjoy the power :)